Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt replacement help, please?

Hey all.

First post here.

I have a 97 Legacy L that I bought a few years back with 140K on it, it now has 245K and still running amazingly well.

(Have put Mobil 1 in it for the entire time I've had it.)

The thing is, I never even realized until recently that this car had a timing belt.

I am assuming that the previous owner replaced it, but I've had it now for 105K

with no replacement.

My main question is, does this engine (2.2) have protection on it so that in case the belt went it would not damage the engine?

I am assuming that it does not have such protection, so it is my present priority to get the belt replaced.

My next question is, I was recommended by a local shop that seems pretty good so far to me, that it was their practice to check water pump (already replaced), replace (with a kit) all belt tensioners, pulleys etc and the adjacent seals with the belt, until I guess they checked with the guys they get parts from and the price for all parts was very high. I checked with a good Subaru online place I know and even from them they were talking at least 500 dollars.

The thing is, to me it seems that with 245K on the car I'd better replace all parts possible there, since if one of those pulleys goes with that many miles on it then the new belt won't be doing any good.

I am looking around at aftermarket kits. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good kit for this car?

I have come across these brands:

Gatorback

Duralast

CRP

PCI

I mean, I am looking at anything that is good quality but also good price.

Anything has got to be better than my present situation.

Any recommendations welcome.

Also, any good Suby mechanics in Houston?

Thanks so much,

'97

Yes, that engine is interference you need to change belt and at least check the pulleys. I had the same engine 97 2.2 and I kept the belt changed but lost the engine at 288,000 miles when the toothed pully came apart. I think with the miles you got it might be best to change them all.

Thank you.

I was thinking that would be a good idea. Will do.

By the way, any other areas that you'd recommend checking out,

since you got so many miles out of your Legacy?

I seem to be having some drive train issues/noises/vibrations.

I just am amazed at and love this car. It has saved my life

since I moved here to Houston in basically a really bad situation

and really needed a reliable one.

thanks again,

'97

is it automatic or manual?....either way you can check for torque bind......take the car to a parking lot and make a few very sharp circles/turns and see if you get a noise or vibration.....im just saying this because i have a 96' legacy with a 2.2 than just turned over to 188,000 and im starting to get some signs of a worn out viscous coupler.....:)

I live in Pasadena right now.

Lots of chemical plants here, but a lot closer to my work than when I lived in

Alvin at my sister's place.

Also, can anyone tell me where I can find the actual month of creation

of my legacy?

It seems that a few of the tensioners or belt kit parts differ depending on which version of two that you have, the changeover being early in the 97 year.

Thanks for all the replies.

:)

'97

You should be good for many more miles after you replace the belt, pulley's, water pump and seals. You might check the front U- joint in the main driveshaft for the vibration problem you speak of.

Make sure you dont use the arrows on the spockets for the timing marks. Use the little line marks.

Thank you.

I was thinking that would be a good idea. Will do.

By the way, any other areas that you'd recommend checking out,

since you got so many miles out of your Legacy?

I seem to be having some drive train issues/noises/vibrations.

I just am amazed at and love this car. It has saved my life

since I moved here to Houston in basically a really bad situation

and really needed a reliable one.

thanks again,

'97

look for the MONTH made on the driver door plate. The "later" 2.2 engines started in March (for the Impreza, anyway).

End of Feb was apparently the swap date for the 2.2 with the 2 piece tensioner and the beginning of the 1 piece tensioner (which appears to be the only difference).

There is an article in the repair manual section about resetting the 1 piece tensioner, too - use a press and not a vise. They say max pressure on the pin is 66 pounds and it takes 3 minutes or so to push it back in without damaging it.

IF you break it, it costs about $170. It LOOKS like the bearing should be replaceable, but nobody is importing JUST the bearing yet.

The kits others have referred to on ebay seem OK, but I asked for the "better" timing belt (conditec was the name I think - I don't have it easily available to go look at it) from a seller in Yakima and didn't take the tensioner pulley (it was for the "older" 2-piece unit and won't fit the 1-piece). "theimportexperts" $189 plus shipping for the kit

The kit included the cam seals, crank seal, cogged idler, 2 smooth idlers, valve cover gaskets, bolt seals, timing belt and water pump. The kit itself was from PCI.

(BTW - I was talking to an auto parts store locally and they said that they didn't deal with PCI any more because PCI apparently has this attitude that "there are no 'bad' new parts" and thus refuse warranty claims. It's a 30-30 warranty - 30 feet or 30 seconds whichever comes first. :mad: ) Funny that I actually live a couple of miles from PCI but can't buy "direct"

no reason to replace the cam sprockets or crank sprocket unless they are damaged. Rubber doesn't wear steel unless it slips and the cogged belt doesn't slip

I'm looking for a decent Subaru mechanic as well, on the north side. I'm very dissapointed with Gillman on the north side but heard Gillman out on the west side were good (but this came from "non car" people). I've got a very competent generic shop a few blocks from me, but since it's leaking oil like a sieve, I figured an experienced Subie mechanic would be a better option, since they're likely more familiar with the issues. Also need a timing belt job done, according to the receipt from the PO this was a $400 service, which is pretty reasonable I think.

sure is - it's a "pre March 97" - the model year starts in about July or so when they start making the next years production (US anyway) so 6/96 is "about right" to be the earliest 97. You don't think it's a phantom car that they started selling in September 2007 as "2008" do you? :)

You have the 2 piece timing belt tensioner if it's the same motor it came with from the factory (which costs less than the 1 piece unit)

please, oh aircraft engineer of mine, i'm just trying to keep up.

:)

by the way, are you really an aerospace engineer?

that's what my dad is. fro the old days--he actually first worked with bell aircraft with general dornburger under werner von braun.

but thanks so much for the help, and i'm very glad it's the "cheaper" version.