Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What did everybody do about shift linkage on lifted eas

h4life

Depends on what tranny setup you are using, and what generation car you are talking about.

I have no experience on the 3rd gens, so I'm not claiming any expertise as to lifting them. If you do the 5 speed swap into the second gen, the linkage is real simple. You just lengthen it to accomodate your lift. No bends or anything. So to me, it stands to reason the setup is very similar in a lifted 3rd gen

If you keep your 4 speed in your 2nd gen, it gets a little trickier, but it really isn't that bad.

Gearbox Shifter Linkage

The shifter for the gearbox needs to have a detent put in it in order to clear the 4x4 linkage when shifting into either 4th gear or reverse. Reverse will give you the most problem. While making this detent to clear the 4x4 linkage, keep in mind that you shouldn't point the top of the shift handle too far towards the drivers side door, as this will result in the shifter hitting on the hole in the floor when shifting into 1st/2nd gears. You can beat the :eek:*&@#$%:eek: out of the stock hole to make more room, but thats kinda hokey, and it makes it harder for your stock console plastic to fit back on. I found that the stock 2nd gen sway bar has the perfect bend in it that you can salvage, and add to your shifter. This makes the "detent" that clears the 4x4 linkage, and lengthens the shifter around 5 inches. I just fabbed my linkage up with the transmission in the car. I tacked everything together light enough to bend the linkage if needed, and heavy enough to hold together while testing through each gear. The only problem I have found with my 1982's linkage is that I had to notch the stock plastic "console pieces" at the bottom, otherwise I couldn't shift the car into 2nd or 4th gears. IF I had spent a little more time on it, I may have been able to avoid that problem.

NOTE:

I found you are better off doing the four wheel drive linkage first, then making the gearbox linkage.

Also: Once you finish your four wheel drive linkage you can test your gearbox linkage in all 4x4 linkage positions while building it. Be sure to test all gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th AND REVERSE) with the 4X4 linkage in ALL 3 POSITIONS. There is nothing more frustrating than making a nice gearbox linkage, painting, and installing it, only to realize that while it works well in 2wd and 4hi; YOU HAVE NO REVERSE IN 4LOW!!! :(:banghead::(

4x4 Shifter Linkage

As for the 4x4 linkage; I cut the stock linkage in half where it starts its bend upward to go up through the floor. Then I held the half of the linkage on the transmission as close to the stock angle as I could. This means parallel with the transmission casing, so it pushes straight into the transmission. I then added the necessary length to the piece that comes through the floor to reach the linkage on the transmission. The piece that was added met the stock linkage on the transmission at about a 40 degree angle on a 4 inch lift. I realize that this puts alot of stress on the point where the added piece meets the stock linkage at that angle, So I gusseted it and ran healthy welds around the entire joint. If you tinker with it before welding it solid, you can even get your hi/low lights to come on at the correct time. :grin:

Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to be thorough.

:banana: GOOD LUCK!:banana:

seemed pretty thorough. if I remember correctly we heated up and bent mine, all I can say is go 5 speed. better gearing, and that one extra gear before overdrive.

I agree a 5 speed would be better on a pure wheeler. That lower first gear would help if you had much larger tires.

But I definitely wouldn't let the shortage of a 5 speed prevent me from finishing and driving a car with a 4 speed in it. I was originally going to use my 4 speed until I could find/afford a 5 speed, but now my 4 speed is staying. It works just fine with 27"/28" ish tires and all the stock interior boots/plastics fit back in their stock locations. No holes, and this means I stay warm all winter! :grin:

I agree a 5 speed would be better on a pure wheeler. That lower first gear would help if you had much larger tires.

But I definitely wouldn't let the shortage of a 5 speed prevent me from finishing and driving a car with a 4 speed in it. I was originally going to use my 4 speed until I could find/afford a 5 speed, but now my 4 speed is staying. It works just fine with 27"/28" ish tires and all the stock interior boots/plastics fit back in their stock locations. No holes, and this means I stay warm all winter! :grin:

I don't know what you'd need to cut holes for... i'm still using the ea81 4wd shifter through the stock hole on my 5 speed. takes some adjustment but is not hard to use the stock shifter. it's not just better for offroad use. the 5 speed you actually have 4 useable gears on the highway with oversized tires. ie better gas mileage and more speed. I ran the 4 speed for a couple years, after getting a 5 speed it's a lot more highway friendly and I wouldn't go back to a 4 speed.

I don't know what you'd need to cut holes for... i'm still using the ea81 4wd shifter through the stock hole on my 5 speed. takes some adjustment but is not hard to use the stock shifter. it's not just better for offroad use. the 5 speed you actually have 4 useable gears on the highway with oversized tires. ie better gas mileage and more speed. I ran the 4 speed for a couple years, after getting a 5 speed it's a lot more highway friendly and I wouldn't go back to a 4 speed.

I didn't need to cut any holes. What I said is this; the stock plastics and shifter boots cover the stock hole. Thus, I have no air entering the cab through the floor, and I stay warm. As for the 4 speed; I use all 4 gears every day, and they are all very useful. I got a speeding ticket a month ago for 68mph, and I average about 30mpg. That's all on 28s. Some of my friends run 30s/31s, and the only thing they miss is 1st gear.

It's obvious that if you are going to lift a car, and use larger tires, a 5 speed would be preferable for the 1st gear advantage, and to obtain a larger clutch. Plus the linkage does look much simpler to fabricate.

However, If you do not have a 5 speed at your disposal; I wouldn't let the completion of a car be held up by that.

So, If you only have a 4 speed high/low;

:grin: Above are my tips on how to best utilize your stock 2nd gen 4 speed with a lift. :grin:

If you have a perfectly good four speed in your car when you lift it, and can't find or afford the 5 speed swap; Don't just toss the 4 speed in your backyard, and wait to find a 5 speed because everyone online says so. The 4 speed linkage isn't that much harder to fabricate. The 4 speed works just fine with all but the largest tires.

If you're waiting for a 5 speed or really don't care, the 4 speed will move the car down the road just fine.

AND THE BEST PART:

:banana:ANOTHER SUBARU ON THE ROAD!:banana:

hmmm... but once again, i use all stock plastics and stock hole, no trimming of the tunnel was needed and the boot still covers the hole... the only trimming or dents in the tunnel were from when i used a 4 speed tranny. used it for several years, but the 5 speed is still a lot nicer for day to day and offroad use; due to the actual gearing differances. your 4th gear is the same as my 5th gear gear ratio.

hmmm... but once again, i use all stock plastics and stock hole, no trimming of the tunnel was needed and the boot still covers the hole... the only trimming or dents in the tunnel were from when i used a 4 speed tranny. used it for several years, but the 5 speed is still a lot nicer for day to day and offroad use; due to the actual gearing differances. your 4th gear is the same as my 5th gear gear ratio.

I think you missed my point. Re-read it twice and get back to me.

i have read what you wrote, have you? by these lines you are illuding to a fallacy that holes have to be cut for the 5speed and someone won't stay warm. my interior shift boot from the EA81, the EA81 center counsel and the EA81 4WD lever fit just fine in my EA81 with an EA82 5 speed and i stay toasty warm. so, what holes are you refering to, if you do it correctly, you can use all the stock components. but hell what do i know... i've only been wheeling and modifing my own subaru's for 8 years...

all the stock interior boots/plastics fit back in their stock locations. No holes, and this means I stay warm all winter! :grin:

I didn't need to cut any holes. What I said is this; the stock plastics and shifter boots cover the stock hole. Thus, I have no air entering the cab through the floor, and I stay warm.:

i have read what you wrote, have you? by these lines you are illuding to a fallacy that holes have to be cut for the 5speed and someone won't stay warm. my interior shift boot from the EA81, the EA81 center counsel and the EA81 4WD lever fit just fine in my EA81 with an EA82 5 speed and i stay toasty warm. so, what holes are you refering to, if you do it correctly, you can use all the stock components. but hell what do i know... i've only been wheeling and modifing my own subaru's for 8 years...

Wow. I'm in awe with your brilliance.

I did not illude to any fallacy of holes needing to be cut for the 5 speed. That is my reflection as to the original comment made in my original post about taking the time to do it right. Then all the stuff fits like it did originally. I made no comment about the modifications necessary to use a 5 speed.

You are looking for an argument where there isn't one. This whole post is about What everyone did for their shift linkage. Not what transmission is best for what. I relayed what I did for my linkage, in detail, so that I could possibly be of some assistance.

If you have any linkage advice for this guy: I suggest helping him out, rather than sitting back and picking arguments. It's always super easy to sit behind a computer screen and give short blurb answers that are of no use, and nitpick other peoples ideas. That crap is really of no use to anyone here, and the more people that do that on here; the quicker this board will become totally useless.

Well, I for one am all out of pee. SO I guess this contest is over.

You win.

Besides, I have far better things to do with my day than argue over the internet about who has more experience with what.

You are the MAAAAEOWWWNAH! (man)

thank you to everybody. i have my current problem solved. i just wanted to see all the unique solutions. i do have more questions about the 5 spd and other soloutions. i do not want to start a fight. i just love to talk shop. i hope thats why everybody is here. nobody is getting paid for this. we do it because we love it. and i do love it. so smiles to all. and enjoy your subarus. don't let us turn into some bull************ camaro forum. you guys all rock and thanks for so much help and confidence to dive into crazy prodjects i never would have.

Nick Mantzoros

right on what are you drivin now? its nice to meet more subaru people in the rust belt. are there any pa events comming up that you know of?

90 legacy 4wd, outback struts, 205/75-15 general grabber at2's on aluminum wheels painted gold, and a set of hella 500 lights. thats all i've done to it so far.

90 legacy fwd. pretty much stock except for the exhaust. it needs a paint job its like 5 different colors.

i work in lock haven so you might have seen one of them at some point.