Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rotor Replacement?

thats amazing?
it's not amazing, there's something abnormal going on. either it's very light braking, highway mileage or the pads were replaced and it's not known. imagine driving 100,000 miles while never stopping...lots of highway miles will allow higher mileages.

thats amazing? Youre the original owner?

Bought it new. Has a 5 speed and I am one of those who believe that it is easier/cheaper to replace brakes than clutches so I don't shift down to slow down. Still has original clutch too. I live in the country but only 4 miles from work so it is not just 400 mile freeway trips.

Funny thing is that with about 50 miles on the car there was a big gouge or groove in one of the front rotors. Took it back to the dealer and made them replace it. Maybe they replaced the rotors and pads with kryptonium ones

I am thinking about doing the brakes this summer because of time.

LOL! It's like someone who has such a good situation they need to find something to do.

The biggest thing I'd worry about for you, is to check the brake fluid and the system, though I'm sure you have.

That's kind of the funny thing I've been thinking about today after writing back and forth on this topic.

It's like we're talking anti-OEM parts and how they're a rip off, and yet why is the very existence of this website possible?

Because there was a lot of great engineering in these cars, period.

I can't count how many times my brother and I, on working on the brakes or whatever, have noticed small or big design things that made us comment on the thought and background involved in producing my Legacy.

And I would hope that there are specifications in Subaru's choice of vendors/producers of their parts that specify quality?

I have actually thought at times that there are plateaus of failure built into these systems/parts on my car, where as pulleys, bearings etc go bad, they actually give you a long period of notice so you can not have a sudden catastrophic failure, but get it fixed at your leisure.

Maybe it's just good stuff.

In contrast, I remember growing up with cars in the 70s and 80s when you were lucky to get 125000 good miles out of many cars.

And then, there was the Fiat I once owned!

I literally remember once taking the jack out to change a flat tire at home in the driveway, and upon starting to crank it up it fell completely apart in peices on the road.

:)

FIAT - dirty word - go wash your mouth out with soap.

The only thing WORSE than a FIAT was a YUGO (which is ironic, since FIAT SOLD the tooling for the FIAT lock stock and barrel to Belgrade) - a Yugoslavian Fiat.

F I A T = fix it again tony :lol::confused:

YUGO - "you go but not far" :lol::headbang::horse: <- running yugo - the horse pulling it died

BTW - for those who don't know (or care) FIAT is Fabricazione Italieni Automobili Torino (my spelling is probably off but it means "The Italian automobile factory in Turin" - more or less.)

The only thing WORSE than a FIAT was a YUGO (which is ironic, since FIAT SOLD the tooling for the FIAT lock stock and barrel to Belgrade) - a Yugoslavian Fiat.

YUGO - "you go but not far" :lol::headbang::horse: <- running yugo - the horse pulling it died

BTW - for those who don't know (or care) FIAT is Fabricazione Italieni Automobili Torino (my spelling is probably off but it means "The Italian automobile factory in Turin" - more or less.)

Sheesh fella, feel strongly do we? Fiats are like banjo music, you either love 'em or hate 'em. There just doesn't seem to be an in between. I found them to be fun cars to drive, and very reliable assuming you were diligent about maintenace...

But anyway, back to the subject. I had a similar long life brake experience. Not quite as high, 90k but still a long time. It was a 4spd yota pickup, so a light load unless I had it full of crap. But I did do a lot of highway so I always attributed it to that and engine braking. Though I also didn't use the clutch to slow down, I did match engine speed before letting out the clutch so I was still saving the brakes.

Will-

<going back off subject> - every FIAT I ever had or dealt with was an unmitigated DISASTER. :mad: (but they were old, too)

Anyway -

I generally use aftermarket brake parts (because of cost)

I've found that pads seem to come in 3 grades "cheap" (as in "organic" (30,000 miles or so), "semi-met" (45,000 or so) and "ceramic" (65,000 or so) . (miles depending on specific "usage")

The longer life pads eat the rotors more than the cheaper ones (particularly semi-met) and ceramic pads rotors seem to stay "smoother" (but also seem to create a lot of "dust" (mostly metal, I guess)

Not to hijack the thread, but I had a '73 Fiat 128-SL that I managed to keep running for 128,000 or so miles. Yeah, it was pretty crappy in ways, but was still loads of fun to drive. Engine was great. Clutch cable would always break in the middle of downtown rush hours (got it home both times without using the clutch). Had to replace front wheel bearings every 35,000 miles or so. Also, would go like there was no tomorrow in snow, with those skinny 13 inch wheels and tires.

Yeah, I didn't mean to disparage the Fiat totally.

Actually I had a 128, I think like a '75 or so,

and it was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

It had those (remember these?) old Michelin XZXs

I think they were called, with the really jagged

tread, and it felt like the car was all the front end--

you literally felt like you could drive it around

curves sideways and the rear would always just catch

up later.

You're right about the snow too.

It's just that I was young then and in college and had

no idea about cars and after about the fourth time

of taking it into the, believe it or not there was a Fiat dealer

in Altoona, PA, after the 4th bill of 300+ dollars in

a row, and this is in 1980 money, it was impossible

to maintain for me.

Fiats were fun cars for short periods when they ran. Followed by long expense periods of repair.

Those disks made in china, some have a coating on them that can only be removed with hot soapy water! Had a issue with my ob shaking while braking, after a complete brake job. The new rotors were not warped. After taking .005 off each side and new pads the problem was gone. My parts guy told me about the coating. Says once you use the brakes the stuff becomes embedded in the disk and the pads. The disks needed cutting and the pads changed.

Those disks made in china, some have a coating on them that can only be removed with hot soapy water! Had a issue with my ob shaking while braking, after a complete brake job. The new rotors were not warped. After taking .005 off each side and new pads the problem was gone. My parts guy told me about the coating. Says once you use the brakes the stuff becomes embedded in the disk and the pads. The disks needed cutting and the pads changed.

Are you talking about a clear coating - almost like a shellac or hard petroleum jelly? I just put some rotors from Beck Arnley on my BMW and they were coated with some material like I described. I assume it's put on as an anti-corrosion protection.

Many rotors I've seen come with some sort of anti-corrosive coating for protection during shipment. I remove the oily type with brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, or a similar solvent that won't leave a residue.

Some rotors are coated with a harder material, and certain manufacturers do indeed suggest cleaning with hot soapy water before mounting. A stiff-bristled (nylon) brush, ScotchBrite pad, or similar can help with the removal without damaging the metal's surface finish.

If the coating seems to be more than just for protection during transit, I'd suggest contacting the supplier before removing it or using the rotor.

• 5 months later...
My '00 OBW is at 119K miles with original brake parts still with about 40% left. OEM parts work for me.:banana:

Went ahead and did the rears this week at 126K miles. Still had life in them but since I had it all apart anyway and had time I replaced pads and cleaned up everything else. Just cleaned up the rotors on my buddies machine and put them back on well within spec.

The fronts were still so good I just left them. Maybe next year:clap:

I can't count how many times my brother and I, on working on the brakes or whatever, have noticed small or big design things that made us comment on the thought and background involved in producing my Legacy.

Every time I work on any other make of car, I love my Subaru even more. . .

I'll chime in that the aftermarket rotors are just fine by me as well. .

If there's one good thing about high gas prices and a weak dollar is that it's becoming cheaper to manufacture goods here in the US rather than ship them from China.

NAPA now sells USA made rotors for many makes in their Ultra Premium line. They cost $1 more than the Chinese rotors.

If you can't get the USA rotors make sure you open both of the Chinese boxes and compare them. Apparently they have more than one foundry in China and they don't finish them the same. Some have the proper swirl finish on the braking surface, others will be smooth. Even the metal will be a different tint. If you run across this ask them to show you a third rotor, then take whatever two pair up.