Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Cruise Control???

Anyone had any exposure to aftermarket cruise control systems? I'm going to be driving a little Outback Sport soon, and while it has 150k less miles on it than my Legacy, it doesn't have some of the comforts I'm used to in my LSi. I figure I can salvage some upscaled seats at some point, but this Impreza doesn't have cruise control, and I was wondering about adding an aftermarket system myself. Never done one, nor seen one in person.

Any experiences with an aftrmarket cruise control unit?

i know this is a subaru forum but.....i was at corvettes at carlisle last year and they had this guy hawking a do it yourself cruise control kit for $175.....he had it on a car there so i guess it worked.....i forget what his business was called.....but that kind of got me thinking.....it was pretty cheap.....good luck with whatever you decide to do......:)

really??? it doesn't have cruise control? i thought they all did - mine does. you can source all the components and install a stock Subaru OBS cruise control. i know people that have done that, but haven't done it myself.

as a matter of fact - i wonder if it once did have it but somehow was swapped - is it the stock steering wheel? or does someone know if 99 impreza OBS's may not have had it from the factory? reason i ask is if it did have it at one point (and someone swapped steering wheels) all of the wiring may be present?

you could tell by looking in the engine bay, but i'm guessing to my surprise that some just didn't have it.

As far as I know, the car never had it. I've seen several other OBS Imprezas w/o cuise control, so I'm assuming for these it was not uncommon to not have cruise. I didn't know if swapping factory parts would be a bigger headache than an aftermarket kit that comes with instructions.

99 OBS didn't come with cruise control stock, just as an dealer installed option, I think they were stock starting in 00.

The good news is that all the wiring should be there, so all you need to do is source the parts (subaruparts.com had it last time I looked) and plug them in, steering wheel even has the outline of the cutout for the stalk. I've been looking into it since I want to install it on my 00 L wagon that doesn't have the wiring (have all the parts and wiring diagrams, just need the time).

One way to check is to look at the wiring near the passenger's side firewall, up by the strut, there should be a connector that isn't connected to anything.

What you need:

steering wheel stalk

underhood unit + bracket (different from Legacy)

main unit (installs under dash, right next to the dead pedal, under the plastic trim)

brake sensor (replaces the one that's on the brake pedal right now)

clutch sensor (if you have a manual)

As far as I know, the car never had it. I've seen several other OBS Imprezas w/o cuise control, so I'm assuming for these it was not uncommon to not have cruise. I didn't know if swapping factory parts would be a bigger headache than an aftermarket kit that comes with instructions.

my obs doesn't have cruise.

I was looking at the 97 Impreza the sister has and noticed that the throttle linkage has an extra spot for another cable.

I think it's where the cruise would have gone.

Years ago I had an aftermarket cruise (Sears I seem to remember - I think I even have one of them still in the box) that used glued on magnets as the sender units for the speed pickup.

it was simple enough - electronic box, vacuum line to the control servo, power, brake light switch disconnect (vacuum relief, I seem to remember), speed pulser unit. With a front wheel drive, it would have needed 2 or 4 magnets on the axle or inner CV hub to make enough pulses to drive slowly on the cruise. (It's great for avoiding tickets on the road where I live and they seem to be out there at regular intervals)

She didn't want me to install it - she doesn't LIKE cruise. I PREFER it myself.