Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core

8 to 10 hours. If you have A/C all the books call for removal of the evap core (losing the charge, etc) as well. I found that with some difficulty I was able to squeeze the heater core box out by undoing all the AC lines in the engine bay and pulling the evap core away from the firewall as much as possible. It's tricky, but it CAN be done. I just did the core replacement on my 91 SS a couple months ago. $196 for the core (wholesale) - ouch!

I wouldn't install a used one - takes too long to pull them from a yard, and you don't have any idea of the condition of it. They are aluminium and pretty fragile. My 91 had a major malfunction of the cooling system (previous owner) that took out the engine, radiator, and burst the core along the bottom tank seam.

This should also be in the "new gen" forum.

GD

Someone on teh board did it. He went to the yard tested it (supposedly) and after putting it all in he starts up the car and once again he found coolant coming out hte vents what a mess I am sure. Eventually he ended up just getting a new heat core. Some tips I think he suggested removing the seats. You need to pull the entire dash. I suggest getting a new core as well. Not worth the hassle of reattempting to do the job.

Thanks for the responses - looking at the manual there's no way I'd go for a used core - that'd be a foolish waste of time! Ok - so I'm looking at a rather long Saturday - hey - it's getting warmer out - I don't really need to do this until next Fall!

Cheers

Steve

Loyale is different. You don't have to touch the evap core. My former comments were before the post was edited to reflect Loyale instead of Legacy.

It's still an 8 hour job, but it's easier than a Legacy. It's a lot easier to take the Loyale's apart.

GD

yeah, sorry about that, I was talking to a friend about his Legacy while I was typing in the question - a Forest Gump moment (I'm prone to those)

Ok - question for ya - how much time should an experieced home mechanic set aside to replace the heater core in a 1991 Loyale?

Thanks

Steve

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49973

That's what you need. Enjoy!

* Read it first and think it out. Spend a minute or two looking it over with the instructions. You can bang this out quicker than I did.

Good luck,and yes,you will smile really big and for a long time when that heat warms your toes.