Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Axle Hub

Is it a common problem for the spline in the axle hub to wear? The cv shows no sign of wear (new MWE). The once flat topped spline are now like sharp teeth. . . Also, how critical is the cone split-type centering washer? If its been installed and removed a few times and is a little smashed on the edges, will it effect the axle and wheel alignment?

It is not normal for the hub splines to wear. That usually indicates that the axle nut wasn't tight. Been a few of us on here that have had to re-torque the axle nut after repairs and driving for 100 miles or so.

The conical washer should have rounded edge, if it's worn to a sharp edge, you need to replace it. You'll also need to replace the hub do to the spline wear.

Is it a common problem for the spline in the axle hub to wear?

Replace the hub. The nut will work loose every time if you don't.

The cv shows no sign of wear (new MWE). The once flat topped spline are now like sharp teeth. . . Also, how critical is the cone split-type centering washer? If its been installed and removed a few times and is a little smashed on the edges, will it effect the axle and wheel alignment?

Replace the hub and the washer. The washer is VERY critical. If it's not smooth and perfect you'll never get more than a 100 miles or so before it starts clunking again and wears out the hub splines. It's extreemely critical that you understand this - if you don't replace BOTH - you'll be doing this over and over again till you do it right.

And grinding the washer smooth doesn't work - don't ask how I know all this :rolleyes:

GD

Cool! so ive already ordered new cone washers from the dealer (not cheap!), but there on the way. I also already installed new wheel bearings which i also ordered from the dealer. They came in a set of 2 bearings and with 2 seals for $52. not bad considering the set with seals from kragens was about $6 cheaper. Combined with the new MWE axles, new remanufactured steering rack and new tie rod ends, new ball joints, new Energy suspension sway bar bushings, the only thing on the front end that has not been replaced are the struts and A-arm bushings, i think? Im trying to get the alignment good and the knocking/popping when i turn to either lock to stop. I probably spent more than i should have but it is my daily driver.

And grinding the washer smooth doesn't work - don't ask how I know all this :rolleyes:

GD

Grinding the washer is better than reinstalling a buggered one. Carefully removing the lip that is formed around the edge works pretty well. Even on *good* ones I clean them up a tad before installation.

Finding a replacement in better shape is a great, but not everyone is close to J-yards full of soobs. Sometimes cleaning up the original is the way to go.

So the problem still remains. Got the new washers, torqued them down, everything was great for a day. Check the torque again and its tight as it can be. So my question is will a bad steering rack pop and make noise while i'm driving? I really don't think its the axles anymore, new washer new hubs new bearings, i don't see a problem but it still makes noise. I wish it would fall apart already so i would know exactly what the problem is instead of trying to figure it out. I only drove it for a day but can the much needed alignment be causing all my problems even after everything has been replaced?

So i really dont understand it, i can not figure out why i keep tearing inner cv boots. It doesnt make any sense and its really starting to drive me crazy. Pretty much everything is new on the front end. So im going to ask again and i want a straight answer, Will a bad alignment and bad rack cause the boots to rip? Ive already replaced the front 2 axles 4 times. Does anyone have any idea as to why this keeps happening? Am i totally thinking to hard and overlooking the obvious?

both sides are doing the same thing?

too much heat?

somebody doesn't like you?

that's a strange one.

Yeah, both sides. Thought about the heat idea before, when i sent the axles back to MWE he told me its not to much heat. If it was he would be able to tell by the boot. Somebody must not like me. I actually think i might have to sell my Hatch as much as i dont want to. I can no longer afford to fix it nor do i have the patience anymore.