Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ad in local paper, '92 Loyale -Opinions?

Subaru 92 Loyale, 4 Wheel Drive Station Wagon, Automatic, 155,000 miles, Well maintained. $1500

Saw this in a local paper. Need to replace a Chevy Venture van that is falling apart as I type this. Manifold gasket leaking for the second time and many things not working or only part of the time.

I need an automatic for the wife. If mechanically sound and no fatal rust, is this anything to get excited about? Price seems high. What if around $800 to $1000?

Haven’t called or seen it yet. Wanted to have some options first to be better able to talk them down. Our area doesn’t have an abundance of Subaru…don’t even think there is a dealership any more.

Any pitfalls with this year or model?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks,

The Lynn’s

Owner of 1986 GL Sedan

i think that's a 3AT transmission - those transmissions suck...IMO.

that's a decent vehicle and they can rack up the miles. actually the EA82 engine if kept from overheating and running out of oil are very reliable.

but...you are more than likely going to have multiple things to address in the near future. radiator, hoses, timing belt, brakes, oil leaks, IAC, axles, and wheel bearings etc. not because they're bad cars but because time does these things.

if you're wanting to replace your current vehicle due to many minor issues i don't know that this would be a good fit for you. a 17 year old car is going to have things that need addressed.

i don't know your situation....can you afford to have it fixed, can you fix things yourself...etc.

pricing varies by area, but $1500 does sound a bit high to me as well - would have to see/hear/drive the car to decide if worth it or not.

ad says "well maintained" - would want to see proof of that in the form of reciepts - check them over carefully. check for suspension work (tierod ends, ball joints, struts, etc), regular oil changes, timing belts (w/water pump) and any other age replacement items

something specific to think about would be a timing belt job (60,000 mile intervals for these) - at 155K it will be due again in 25-30k. sooner if it wasnt done at/around 120K

the 3at's are not great, but not as bad as some will have you believe if they are taken care of properly.

If you do go look at it, drive it - how does it shift? is it smooth, or jerky?

Does everything work? power accessories all working correctly? check EVERYTHING! including heat and AC if so equiped.

look everywhere - open the rear gate, check all the cubbies - especially the areas behind the wheel wells (prone to rust out) pull the back seat up and check under it for rust areas near the lower seatbelt mounts.

you may need to "fish" for the relase strap - it should be just to the drivers side of center...

always go in as a skeptic, ready to walk away if it doesnt measure up.

Let me start buy saying i love my loyale. Its quirks are why i hate it and love it at the same time. In the same breath for my wife i would not let her drive this car. Its to quirky for someone like her to handle. If i were you i would shop for a legacy. You can probally score one for around the same pricerange. Nicer to drive and quieter. Still somewhat quirky but they give you 4 gears instead of 3 for an automatic. most of them are awd which is nice in the winter. From what ive seen on here 1500 is a bit much for a non desirable loyale. Maybe if it was a pristine turbo, or something like that. But an automatic 4wd wagon are a dime a dozen.

Just my 2c

Ben

Ben's right. Look for a Legacy if you can find one. A Loyale is just a stripped down version of a GL. Only 2 speakers in front, no adjustable lumbar support, some other little stuff that makes them less desireable than the GLs. The 3ATs can be okay, if you like the sound of 3,000rpms at 55mph. They're perfectly reliable if you mantain them properly and if you're not too rough on it. You could always swap a D/R 5spd in there (if you have the time to do so). Just drive it and listen for CVs clicking, any abnormal engine noises (other than lifters ticking which they often do), brake feel, any bearing noises, stuff like that. Don't go over $800. It's just a Loyale.

If it's a turbo, I just wouldnt buy it. Personal preference, anyway.

He needs an automatic for his wife, so why would he swap to D/R?

The 3AT isnt as bad as people say. OEM modulator, synthetic ATF, maybe some Trans-X, and you're A-OK. They jerk, they rev high on the highway, boohoo. I've seen worse transmissions.

If the wagon is in good shape, and has papers backing that up, $800-$1000 is a decent price.

If it's a turbo, I just wouldnt buy it. Personal preference, anyway.

He needs an automatic for his wife, so why would he swap to D/R?

The 3AT isnt as bad as people say. OEM modulator, synthetic ATF, maybe some Trans-X, and you're A-OK. They jerk, they rev high on the highway, boohoo. I've seen worse transmissions.

If the wagon is in good shape, and has papers backing that up, $800-$1000 is a decent price.

I read the OP but forgot his wife would be driving it. Definitely right about the Turbo, stay away if it is.

Ben's right. Look for a Legacy if you can find one. A Loyale is just a stripped down version of a GL. Only 2 speakers in front, no adjustable lumbar support, some other little stuff that makes them less desireable than the GLs. .

Thats funny....my 92 Loyale had adjustable lumbar and 4 speakers...along with everything else except cruise.

But I agree..maybe looking for a lego would be the best bet..I see decent ones come up all the time for under $1000. Both in FWD and AWD models.

I happen to be a fan of the EA82..probably because the 2 I had were both good cars and didnt give me too many worries. But the EJ line is just a bullet proof engine. Early models still have the non intereference motors and ( like EA82s) are easy to work on..they are also easier to get parts for.

Ben's right. Look for a Legacy if you can find one. A Loyale is just a stripped down version of a GL. Only 2 speakers in front, no adjustable lumbar support, some other little stuff that makes them less desireable than the GLs. The 3ATs can be okay, if you like the sound of 3,000rpms at 55mph. They're perfectly reliable if you mantain them properly and if you're not too rough on it. You could always swap a D/R 5spd in there (if you have the time to do so). Just drive it and listen for CVs clicking, any abnormal engine noises (other than lifters ticking which they often do), brake feel, any bearing noises, stuff like that. Don't go over $800. It's just a Loyale.

er...loyale's are fine rigs, just not with the auto tranny. oh, and they do in fact have the adjustable lumbar support (if that really matters).

Thanks for all the advice. Money is the primary motivator. If I had it, would look for something newer. This will be local driving, grocery getter and soccer practice, etc. I will get her a pillow if it doesn’t have lumbar support.

Also, sort of committed to keeping the ’86 GL fed and happy, so thought a similar age vehicle will have more in common than something newer. Don’t know if this is a right assumption.

Just like them simple. I have a Nissan truck, ’94. Don’t have to worry about power windows not working..doesn’t have them, don’t have to worry about power locks not working…doesn’t have them, don’t have to worry about digital dashboard going out…doesn’t have it. You get the picture.

Any way, ad stopped running today, not sure if sold or time ran out. Still need my tax refund to come back before I could do anything any way. Keeping the phone number, might still be there when the money comes in.

Couple people said stay away from a turbo…why?

The Lynn’s

People with more experience can elaborate more on them but there problem is with cooling issues and tend to blow headgaskets if not babied. If you go into the search portion of the message board you will be flooded with headgasket questions and problems on turbo models.

Ben

Let me start buy saying i love my loyale. Its quirks are why i hate it and love it at the same time. In the same breath for my wife i would not let her drive this car. Its to quirky for someone like her to handle. If i were you i would shop for a legacy. You can probally score one for around the same pricerange. Nicer to drive and quieter. Still somewhat quirky but they give you 4 gears instead of 3 for an automatic. most of them are awd which is nice in the winter. From what ive seen on here 1500 is a bit much for a non desirable loyale. Maybe if it was a pristine turbo, or something like that. But an automatic 4wd wagon are a dime a dozen.

Just my 2c

Ben

Thats funny!! My wife is the same way. She just refuses to drive my subaru...