Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 legacy, about 90,000 miles. A few weeks ago, the tailights went out, I replaced the fuse and they went out again in a few days. Then I replaced it and it was good for a week or so. My girlfriend called me this morning and said the taillights, instrument cluster, and turn signals are not working. Now I know this is a hunt and search project, but has anyone had this same problem or is there a known solution to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm lost when it comes to electronics.

Any recent work done on the car? Battery/alternator ever been replaced? Trunk leaks?

I would check the fusible links under the hood - they are short strands of material, not like typical fuses. They'll be in a box somewhere under the hood. Physically remove and reinstall each one paying attention to whether any crumble, fall apart, or have bad connections.

Aside from that I would check the integrity of the tail light cluster that keeps going out. See if it's got any bad connections, corrosion, rust around it, cracks, or leakage points. If it does - replace it. Inspect it from the outside and inside the trunk area.

If there is a short the most likely candidate is something like the rear lens assembly - wires being corroded or being wet inside, etc.

I just checked it out. First, the car would not go out of park, I had to hit the override to get it in drive. The turn signal fuse was blown. The car has headlights, four ways, and brake lights, but no parking lights or tail lights. Im going to keep working, does it sound like possibly the head light switch is bad? The tailight contact on the back bulb is putting out no power.

I just checked it out. First, the car would not go out of park, I had to hit the override to get it in drive. The turn signal fuse was blown. The car has headlights, four ways, and brake lights, but no parking lights or tail lights. Im going to keep working, does it sound like possibly the head light switch is bad? The tailight contact on the back bulb is putting out no power.

Check the fuses. There is an illumination relay that has a fuse that feeds it under the hood (I think). Nothing wrong with the HL switch, as it is low power that sends a signal to relays.

nipper

Did some searching, found the problem, the Lighting SW fuse under the hood was blown, but it was hardly noticeable.

Check the fuses. There is an illumination relay that has a fuse that feeds it under the hood (I think). Nothing wrong with the HL switch, as it is low power that sends a signal to relays.

nipper