Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question, looking for some possible causes for my new-formed problem.

Basics: 2003 Legacy sedan, 117K, AT

Symptoms: LOUD clunking and rattling from front end when going over slightly uneven pavement. Steering/handling seems to be a little looser than it used to be, but not by much and there's not much play in the steering. Suspension seems OK in that there doesn't seem to be a real change in ride quality.

Environmental Factors: New Hampshire roads in an especially bad New Hampshire winter. IE frost heaves and dips that make even the most lifted, jacked-up trucks CRY.

Taking it in to the shop soon. What should they be looking for?

This may not be your problem, but I've had rattle/clunks traced back to loose calipers and/or brake pads. In this case the rattle/clunk is not present when braking, since all the parts can't move with your foot on the brake tightening everything up.

Like you say, you need to get your car to a shop. Put it up on a lift. Have the tech yank on suspension parts and road wheels to find something that is loose.

You might also try pushing up and down on each front fender while the car is on the ground, to see if a strut or suspension component makes any clunking noises.

My guess is..........if it is making a noticable clunking noise, it won't take long to find out what is making the noise.

I have had this twice on my Subaru, once it was the steering shaft U- joint as mentioned by Nipper, the last time it was the inner tie rods. If you get a clunk sound when turning it can be the big bushing at rear of control arm, this bushing is easy to check grease will come out of it when it goes bad.