Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i got my check engine light diagnosed... it came back as the knock sensor failure. what is this and how important is it to get it replaced? the mechanic quoted $145 to get it fixed. not too bad, but i'd rather not shell it out if i really dont have to.

thanks for info!

common problem - the knock sensors body cracks. best to get a new one.very easy to replace - ONE BOLT. it's tight to get too, but nothing an average socket wrench can't do in 10 minutes. i just did my wife's the other day.

clean around where it sets on the block and install it to the right torque spec's. there are multiple threads on here about it including pictures, do a search and read through those threads.

i saw knock sensors for about $35 on partsquick.com i think it was. don't know how reputable that place is, but that's some cheap knock sensors. not sure what they run elsewhere, the one i bought from Subaru was $70-$100 - i can't remember. advanced and other stores probably have them cheaper.

part price will vary depending on which year/engine you have. Just bought two from an ebay seller for about $35 each.

again - depending on your engine - it may be a single wire (ours were) or a two wire set up, make sure you get the correct one.

a little tight getting to it, but it can be done at home in under 1/2 hour (10-15 mins is more like it)

check this thread for more info: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85268

Porcupine had posted some great pics (as usual) :)

If you have some basic sockets and good extensions it is easy to replace. The vehicle may suffer lack of power and reduced fuel economy if it has the CEL for the knock sensor. Also the code just means an electrical issue has been detected in the knock sensor circuit - it doesn't necessarily mean the knock sensor itself is bad (though that is typically the culprit).

knocksensor1.jpgknocksensorcrack1.jpg

knock-install1.gif