Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Puh-leese, Hep a bruthuh out !!!

Hey, Good Mornin!

I'm out changing plugs wires etc, I didn't do anything to the distributer but remove the wires and replace the cap and rotor. Now the car won't start:-\

What could I have possibly done wrong?:confused:

Can I get a little help? It was running ok before, but since I just recently bought it, I decided to put in new ignition stuff just for peace of mind. Now this ... Whazup widt dat?:eek:

Its possible the distributor cap could be on backwards but its hard to do.

Check to make sure you are getting spark from the coil to the distributor first.

I might have put the cap on backwards, I thought I placed it the same as the old one. There is a "blank" socket just before the #1 wire plug on the cap.

Anyway, the contact on the rotor is broken off, and the one at the top of the cap is broken also. And I was being so careful ... or at least I thought so...

I've done this before with other cars and it's never been more than a 20-30 minute job:-\

Rico.. It sounds like maybe they gave you the wrong part...If Iread that right...the contact on the rotor broke off and also the contacts inside the car are damaged also??.. The screw holding the rotor in place was still in?

Did you try to put the old cap and rotor back on to see if it would run to make sure thats where the problem lies?

omg thats not supposed to happen. their is a difference between a 2wd and a 4wd .. either a nippondenso or a hatachi disty, my supplier gets it wrong all the time, frustrating

When I first put everything on, I was very meticulous about only doing one wire at a time and one "end" at a time. after all was put together, I turned the ignition, engine turned over but didn't start. after some checking I discoverd that the contact from the rotor was lying on the floor of the distributor. So then, I put the old rotor on with the new cap and the same thing happened. I checked and the rotor contact was broken off and this time the coil contact at the top of the cap was broken also. The screw that holds the rotor in place was secure and not loose. the rotor itself did not break, just ripped the contact off of the top of it. So now all rotors and all caps are fubar.

I'm on my way to the parts store with a friend to get another set.

Ok so I have to tell the parts guy that I have a 4wd?

more later ...

First of all I must say I'm quite happy to see yet another member located here in the South-east. Second of all yes, be very specific on the info you give them. If you have a haynes or chiltons manual, you can probably figure out what kind of distributor you have (nippindenso or hitachi) and they should be able to get the exact part without much trouble. Make sure they know whether it's 4wd or 2wd.

First of all I must say I'm quite happy to see yet another member located here in the South-east. Second of all yes, be very specific on the info you give them. If you have a haynes or chiltons manual, you can probably figure out what kind of distributor you have (nippindenso or hitachi) and they should be able to get the exact part without much trouble. Make sure they know whether it's 4wd or 2wd.

Thanks Dude,

just returned from the parts store where they say there is no four wheel drive option, and they definitely do not have Hitachi branded or the other type distributor either. There was no play in the distributor shaft, and the rotor itself was attached firmly and secure. I'm reallyl puzzled, this and my oil change should have taken only 45 minutes max. Now my rig is down:banghead:

Do you feel comfortable taking the distributor out - that you can get it back in and timed correctly?

If you do, take the distributor down to the parts store and try the rotor and cap on it right there in the store. You can spin it carefully by hand to make sure everything' working right without damaging anything.

DO NOT REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR!!

Take your old cap and old rotor in with you and have them match them with the new. What auto parts store are you going to? Sounds like its full of retards... no 4WD option for a Subaru??? You gotta be kidding me!

Try NAPA. They usually have everything for everything.

I looked up your '89 XT with my Napa Prolink account through work and here's what I found for Part Numbers:

CAPS:

• EP778SB
  • EP778

ROTORS:

• EP845SB
  • EP845

Like I said above... take the old ones in with you and have them compare with the new ones so you can identify wether or not its correct. I recommend NAPA cause usually they have people working there who know a thing or two (really a hit or miss though) and if possible try and locate the Distribution Center for your city and just go there since there's a better chance of them having the part in stock.

Sounds like its full of retards... no 4WD option for a Subaru??? You gotta be kidding me!

For an 89 XT, it wouldn't matter 2wd or 4wd. They would all use the same disty.

In fact, for all EA82s, from 88+, 2wd or 4wd would make no difference at all for a cap and rotor.

Hi Guys, and thanks!

I will be going to the parts store this evening and I will take my old cap and rotor with me. I will also be armed with the part numbers that subjunkie provided. In addition, I will make the trek over to Napa, they're a little further out, but I've never had a problem with parts from there in the past.

I'll let you know how it goes ...

Do you feel comfortable taking the distributor out - that you can get it back in and timed correctly?

If you do, take the distributor down to the parts store and try the rotor and cap on it right there in the store. You can spin it carefully by hand to make sure everything' working right without damaging anything.

:eek: :eek: :eek: No-N0-No-No-o-o-o-o-o-oh! No touchie distributor-- it taboo. I likey drive my car. I don't have that much confidence yet. I do oil,brakes, plugs wires, fill the coolant and washer reservoirs, brake fluid and I even know where the gas filler pipe is and how to fill it. :grin: But actually messing with something that could really mess up somethin bad ... no-no-no.

I specifically do not want to have to deal with timing issues right now... I'm stressed as it is because something simple has turned nightmarish. And to ad insult to injury, when I went out to the car this a.m. the battery was discharged, and that has me a little worried ... Have I opened Pandora's box?

For an 89 XT, it wouldn't matter 2wd or 4wd. They would all use the same disty.

In fact, for all EA82s, from 88+, 2wd or 4wd would make no difference at all for a cap and rotor.

i detest this notion. the spfi has a O shaped shaft for the rotor and the turbo has a D shaped shaft and a taller cap and rotor.

O rotor and shorter cap fits on D shaft but not the other way around. you will need the matching cap for the rotors being used

otherwise there is no difference between 2wd or 4wd.

UNLESS, this only applies to 1987 models or 85-86 spfi (round plug pigtail)

#1 cylinder is on the passenger rear of the motor.

and notice the orientationof subarujunkies illustration. no one is looking at their motor from inside the car with the hood up or down! (junkie you should flip that picture upside down)

rotation is 1-3-2-4, counter clockwise. #1 on the cap is the terminal on the rear to the right of the clip/screw.

if you take out the distributor(which you dont need to) refer to the timing belt article in usrm

i detest this notion. the spfi has a O shaped shaft for the rotor and the turbo has a D shaped shaft and a taller cap and rotor.

O rotor and shorter cap fits on D shaft but not the other way around. you will need the matching cap for the rotors being used

otherwise there is no difference between 2wd or 4wd.

Note, I did not say all of the disty are the same, I said 2WD vs. 4WD makes no difference.

And as to the shape of the shaft, You've got it backwards. The MPFI use a screw to locate on the *O* shaped shaft. (if the screw comes out it can just spin.) SPFI uses the *D* shaped shaft. The rotor pop on and can't spin because of the shape of the shaft.

Becasue of the difference, I'll retract my earlier call to order a Loyale cap(my bad)

Instead, he should try getting a cap and rotor for a 89 GL Turbo. It may be the Non-tubro but still MPFI aspect that is throwing off the parts listing form wherever he's going.

Ok everybody, this is the deal. I've been to Napa for more parts and although the cap looks close to the original there are some minor differences that may or may not affect operation. The rotors all appear to be identical, but when installed, the contact on top of the rotor was ripped off and the cap itself was cracked(see pics).

To tell you the truth, I'm getting a little gun-shy about this, I've already ruined two[2] rotors and one[1] cap. I've purchased another set but it looks like the others. Several people have indicated that the cap only goes on one way. For some reason, that does not apply to what I have in my rig. It can go on in the reverse direction, even the old one i took off can be installed to its opposite. Now, one last question: Since this cap can be installed either way and the rotation is counter clockwise; does it make any difference as long as the wires are in the correct firing order (remember, I'm not a mechanic and I've never played one on TV) ;)

I've got to get this rig back on the road, my other vehicle is at me mums and she is 76 and lives about thirty miles away. Not an ideal situation. So if anyone has a difinitive answer, I'm all ears ...

post-23870-136027627494_thumb.jpg

post-23870-136027627499_thumb.jpg

post-23870-136027627503_thumb.jpg

post-23870-136027627505_thumb.jpg

post-23870-136027627508_thumb.jpg

Now, one last question: Since this cap can be installed either way and the rotation is counter clockwise; does it make any difference as long as the wires are in the correct firing order

That is correct. As long as the wires are arranged in the propper order it doesnt matter.

However, if the cap isnt perfectly seated, it will be off center and when the rotor rotates, it will grab the edge of the cap and destroy the rotor and/or the cap.

-Brian