Ultimate Subaru Message Board

yo i just acquired a 1990 legacy from a friend. he recently replaced the water pump on it. now it doesn't start. for some reason, he seems to think that the cam and/or crank sensor is busted. my other friend says that the timing is just way off. and it ran before he worked on the water pump. its got a 2.2L and a five spd trans. any ideas???

Check for any codes in the ECU, and check for spark along with the compression. These things will show you what direction you need to pursue on for repair work. If those items are ok then try spraying in a little starter fluid into the intake to see if that will fire things up a little.

Uhh... If friend who did water pump thinks crank/cam sensors are bad, thats a good place to start.

He should have gotten a close look at both when doing the water pump.

You don't say why friend 2 thinks it is timing. I assume you (and/or friend 2) know that would be the cam timing, as this engine has electronic ignition and you can't adjust the ingition timing.

If friend 1 is right, sensors can be replaced fairly easily.

If friend 2 is right, you are taking the timing belt off again (friend 1 had to take it off to do water pump) and aligning the marks. (thread search: "Timing Belt" will reveal all you need to know)

If you have to do this, find out if friend 1 replaced timing belt, idler pulleys and cam/crank seals while he was in there. If not, you probably should.

On the other hand, both friends may be wrong, and you may need to replace fuel pump, coil, igniter, or even just a fuse somewhere.

Which is another way of saying, everyone here will happily help you as much as they can, but you may need to post more information about what it is doing, and what you have already tried.

If it ran before the water pump work, and any wiring/sensors that may have been disconnected during the work have been reconnected, then the timing being off is a good possibility I would think. Generally two or more teeth off and it will not start. He may have used the arrows on the crank sprockets rather than the hash marks, that would definitely make it a no start. Fortunately that engine is non-interference.

Also I am assuming by no start, you mean it does crank whir whir whir whir but won't start.

Check out : http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2SingleOverWin01.pdf

He may have used the arrows on the crank sprockets rather than the hash marks, that would definitely make it a no start. Fortunately that engine is non-interference.

That's what I'm betting on.

It's not totally obvious that the mark to use is actually on the tab for the sensor, on the back rim of crank sprocket.

Uhh... If friend who did water pump thinks crank/cam sensors are bad, thats a good place to start.

He should have gotten a close look at both when doing the water pump.

You don't say why friend 2 thinks it is timing. I assume you (and/or friend 2) know that would be the cam timing, as this engine has electronic ignition and you can't adjust the ingition timing.

If friend 1 is right, sensors can be replaced fairly easily.

If friend 2 is right, you are taking the timing belt off again (friend 1 had to take it off to do water pump) and aligning the marks. (thread search: "Timing Belt" will reveal all you need to know)

If you have to do this, find out if friend 1 replaced timing belt, idler pulleys and cam/crank seals while he was in there. If not, you probably should.

On the other hand, both friends may be wrong, and you may need to replace fuel pump, coil, igniter, or even just a fuse somewhere.

Which is another way of saying, everyone here will happily help you as much as they can, but you may need to post more information about what it is doing, and what you have already tried.

Of course he may just need new freinds :)

nipper