Ultimate Subaru Message Board

blown 3 axles in less then a week

okay today i went to evans creek and played with the ak47. well when i got to enumclaw i was turning in the safeway parking lot and the axel popped:mad: yep the AA lift sucks cause the rear diff isnt low enough the axels pop right out. the rear passenger side every time. anyone have a hanger for a 4in lift? or should i just space the m bar more? (cause the diff angle will be off due to the pivot point)

well if they are hyper extended already, then of course they will pull out all the way with any suspension articulation. if you drop the whole diff (lower it down at the moustache bar so the angle is not so sharp) the axles wont be rifing on the edge of the doj, and youmake the drop shackle for the front half of the diff so you dont have such a sharp angle at the driveshaft.

with the AA lift, the rear suspension is riding higher in proportion to original suspension geometry. easy way to gain inches, but the oroginal geometry is compromised(maxed out) droppin ghe whole diff away from the tube frame will correct this. i dont see why AA cant make a drop shackle withthe lift kits.(unless they nover thought to do so)

my buddy home-made rear strut extensions and dropped the whole diff, including a drop shackle (like the rear shackles on a leaf spring). in fact, he used a clevis pin instead of a bolt for a "quick disconnect" diff (good for you welded diffs out there)

You could keep the AA lift the way it is, and do limiting straps. That way you still get the benefit of ground clearance, and prevent the problem you are having. If you just did simple straps, of chain, HEAVY nylon, etc. that would limit the ammount of articulation for the rear. That should stop your problem. They aren't for every situation, but should work fine on the rear of an EA81 or EA82, as long as they are fabbed with all situations considered.

at the moment with saving money to buy an rx and fixing up the wagon i cant afford a $85 diff hanger. im already buying tires from scott. and axels arnt cheap. i have orders with a few people. tryin to save money:rolleyes: . justin is really helping me out:) (thanks man)

Front window, front winch bumper,super swampers for my split spoke pugs, diff drop kit, steering wheel, bedliner for the ru's body and interior plastics.. ive got alot to do.:burnout:

don't need the whole diff lowering kit. just get the 2" shim. $30 from SJR.

I had a similar problem with my 4" High Clearance AA kit. that shim fixed it.

how much lift are you running? do you have the adjustable extensions? make sure they're as low as possible, or you'll have problems.

also, what kind of axles are you using? remans? all axles are not created equal.

For $85, Scott of JR has given u this sweet option.

http://www.sjrlift.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=3

Look down the lit for the 3" diff lowering kit. Part # DLK3

sounds like you have a good plan,as you all have stated alot of you guys know this one already.

if anyone was looking to purchase a kit/components in the future, allow me to say this.

Scotts components are the best. IMO.... Well engineered.A great value.Worth every penny.I recommend anything he puts his name on.

in the last pick,you can see that his design will not harm an axle.

roxy_lift_130.JPG

roxy_lift_053.JPG

dd1.jpg

sounds like you have a good plan,as you all have stated alot of you guys know this one already.

if anyone was looking to purchase a kit/components in the future, allow me to say this.

Scotts components are the best. IMO.... Well engineered.A great value.Worth every penny.I recommend anything he puts his name on.

in the last pick,you can see that his design will not harm an axle.

Im gonna sport SJR logos to help sales for scott cause I know his products rock.

the full diff drop kit is overkill. just grab the 2" diff shim:

3242PICT0082.JPG

this did wonders on my AA lifted wagon.

Doesn't that point the front of the diff down? Seems like it'd be more important to drop the rear of it at the mustache bar? Did you drill lower holes in the mustache bar?

yeah you would drop the moustache bar down. but you ned to drop the front down as well so you dont end up with a 90 deg driveshaft angle.

this is what i meant about making a 'drop shackle', the kit pictures here shows just that.

whay is this so hard to be comprehended?

yeah you would drop the moustache bar down. but you ned to drop the front down as well so you dont end up with a 90 deg driveshaft angle.

this is what i meant about making a 'drop shackle', the kit pictures here shows just that.

what is this so hard to be comprehended?

I know what the full $55 (IMO way cheap for how nice it's made)kit does. The full 3" diff drop kit has 2 pieces though. A 2"spacer for the front of the diff, and a 3" drop hanger for the rear 'tache bar attachment.

I know about the angles too, which is why I asked about dropping just the front of the diff. NumbChux statement that only the front of diff spacer is needed is why I asked. eems to me that doing that would not help axles much, and would point the nose down increasing the driveline angle between the carrier and the rear diff.

I was asking him if he also did anything to the 'stache bar, or just slapped in the spacer at the front. And if so, what did that do to his driveline angle, and axle stretch issues?

how about i already have a friend fabing up a drop kit. its not over kill when ur blownin 2 axels a week:banghead: i think its harder to drill holes in the m bar then it is to put spacers on it. im not an expert its just my thinking:grin:

oh good news.. i got promoted today:banana: (PFC)

yes, if you run JUST a diff shim, it'll point the pinion down. but he already has an AA lift kit, which uses 1" blocks (maybe more, IIRC they may have changed to 2") under the mustache bar brackets. That's why the full kit is overkill.

I'm telling you. I blew 2 rear axles in the same weekend with just the mustache bar spacers. added the diff shim and the only time in a year that a blew another axle involved lots of mud/sand and a couple months with a torn boot. lots of hard wheeling the whole time.

I hated my BYB lifted wagon because the diff was dropped down way more than necessary, and I was always smashing it on rocks. the AA lift with the diff shim was perfect.

yes, if you run JUST a diff shim, it'll point the pinion down. but he already has an AA lift kit, which uses 1" blocks (maybe more, IIRC they may have changed to 2") under the mustache bar brackets. That's why the full kit is overkill.

Ahh...... see that's what I meant. Everyone says the AA lift leave the diff up in place. I was not aware that thier kit employed a spacer for the mustache bar. I guess if that's already there, then yeah the front of diff spsacer is all you need.

IIRC, the BYB kit drop the whole rear subframe. Now that is overkill for a 3-4 inch lift.