Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 to 89 Ea82T info needed

Hi, I need to know if the EA82 Turbo motors require a computer to operate? I have a chance to get a good used one and I'd like to put it in my Trike, but no computer or other harness would come with it as its a JDM motor and only the motor.

Will this require anything special to make work in a Trike?

Thanks, any help or info will be appreciated

Bob

can't he swap the entire motor harnass + intake from the 86 onto the long block of the 89? that way he'll keep all the sensors and electronics of the 86 but have the new bottom end of the 89.

I think 86 thru89 is what he meant.

He is trying to use An EA82T in a custom Trike/motorcylcle that is currently Carbed I believe.

To accomplish that he would need the ECU, Harness,MAF, And Fuel Pump for an EA82T. Not only that, he would need to determine which type of EA82T the engine in question is. Flapper MAF(85,86) vs. Hotwire(87-91) and then use the appropriate ECU

Will this require anything special to make work in a Trike?

Thanks, any help or info will be appreciated

Bob

Bob,

Nothing special is needed. The guys are filling you in on the parts.

Take this for what you paid for it. What you do need is good compression.

I would not buy an JDM EA-82 without:

1. hearing it run, and or,

2. having compression readings on all 4 cylinders, and or,

3. a leak down test.

hth,

Doug

If you're proficient enough to setup and use a stand alone ECU, I have a megasquirt unit I can sell ya. This will alleviate the need for a MAF and open the engine up to more mods.

Is the intake already on? With all the engine harness and wiring? If so, getting a stock ECU for what ever year range and wiring harness wouldn't be hard.

I think 86 thru89 is what he meant.

He is trying to use An EA82T in a custom Trike/motorcylcle that is currently Carbed I believe.

To accomplish that he would need the ECU, Harness,MAF, And Fuel Pump for an EA82T. Not only that, he would need to determine which type of EA82T the engine in question is. Flapper MAF(85,86) vs. Hotwire(87-91) and then use the appropriate ECU

I believe you are right, I stand corrected :)

I believe you are right, I stand corrected :)

Thanks for all your answers. It is no longer an issue. I found and purchased a brand new 0 mile remanufactured EA82 long block for $550 plus $150 shipping. So for $700 I will have a like brand new motor for my Trike.

In case any of you might be interested. Vist Ebay. There is a company that has just received a large shipment of motors like this. They still have a EA82 long block turbo on auction with starting bid of $500 I believe. Its the same long block and can be used as non turbo if neded.

$700 for a remanufactured motor in my opinion, is nothing short of a fantistic deal. I don't think you could by the parts and rebuild yourself, if you had all the right equipment to rebuild it, for that price.

Check it out, you might find a great deal on a rebuilt motor for your poor ol Subie.

Thanks Guys,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=024&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=370038067175&rd=1

Not sure if this link will work since its for the motor I bought.

Bob

If the engine is as good as it sounds, then you've got yourself a nice deal there

Only one thing, if this is originally a turbo engine (which is highly likely, because it's a dual port intake) but without the turbo, it will run like crap when you put a carb on it. The compression wil be 7.7:1 and that's way too low to run without a turbo.

Thanks for all your answers. It is no longer an issue. I found and purchased a brand new 0 mile remanufactured EA82 long block for $550 plus $150 shipping. So for $700 I will have a like brand new motor for my Trike.

In case any of you might be interested. Vist Ebay. There is a company that has just received a large shipment of motors like this. They still have a EA82 long block turbo on auction with starting bid of $500 I believe. Its the same long block and can be used as non turbo if neded.

$700 for a remanufactured motor in my opinion, is nothing short of a fantistic deal. I don't think you could by the parts and rebuild yourself, if you had all the right equipment to rebuild it, for that price.

Check it out, you might find a great deal on a rebuilt motor for your poor ol Subie.

Thanks Guys,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=024&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=370038067175&rd=1

Not sure if this link will work since its for the motor I bought.

Bob

If you bought that engine in the link, you are in trouble. That is a dual intake, MPFI engine. Hard to tell if it is for a turbo or not.

But, If that is a turbo block, As Joostv mentioned, it will have very low compression pistons in it.

Additionally, you're carb intake will not bolt onto the Dual port intake heads. You could use the block, but you will need to change over you're heads and possibly the pistons into it.

Sorry.

If you bought that engine in the link, you are in trouble. That is a dual intake, MPFI engine. Hard to tell if it is for a turbo or not.

But, If that is a turbo block, As Joostv mentioned, it will have very low compression pistons in it.

Additionally, you're carb intake will not bolt onto the Dual port intake heads. You could use the block, but you will need to change over you're heads and possibly the pistons into it.

Sorry.

Boy o Boy did I screw up. I should have came here to the Forum first. I didn't read the info on the motor that closly and thought it was the same long block as the standard EA82. I didn't realize the other EA82 found in most of the Subarus were single port intake. I just thought all my top stuff was going to bolt right up and away I go.

Ok guys I'm going to need you help. I have a complete motor on hand but the compression is no good in it. Could I just change the heads from the old to the new? The ad states the model of vehicle this motor is for as a (Leone Alcyone) Never heard of that model car. I guess thats why I didn't think about it. They list the motor as being the right block for 1982 to 1984. Just never occurred to me that the intake on the EA82 is single port. I'm always thinking about the fact that they all used 2 bbl carbs so just thought in terms of that making it a duel intake.

So what are my options? Does anyone know for sure if just switching the heads will work? Is there a manifold I can get that will except a Carb for this motor? Help me out here guys. I'm in deep doo doo.

By the way, These guys did have a Turbo motor too, but this one that I bought is a non turbo, so maybe just a head change will be all I need to do. Maybe there will be a market for the new heads I'll have left over.

Bob

You may be in luck

The subaru alcyone is the subaru XT (atleast the alcyone with the EA82 is), it was for a limited time also available with MPFI (dual port intake, like the engine you've bought) NON turbo.

If that's the case, just swap the heads (and perhaps internals of the new heads, if they look good) (and aren't the MPFI cams the longest duration?) and you'll be good to go.

Best way to check if the engine is turbo though is to remove the heads and look if the pistons are dished or not. Dished = turbo.

edit: and the fact they know the difference between turbos and non-turbos and this was being sold as non turbo, is also a good sign.

I have a couple of mpfi intakes...but I don't know how you would bolt a carb up to it without some machince work.

Maybe we could work something out? It actually wouldn't be hard to make a carb adapter that sits where the Throttle body was. If you went that way, you wouldn't have to worry about tearing the engine apart as long as it passed leak down. PM me we can work something out.

How would that run anyways? A MPFI block with a carb?

Johnson']I have a couple of mpfi intakes...but I don't know how you would bolt a carb up to it without some machince work.

Maybe we could work something out? It actually wouldn't be hard to make a carb adapter that sits where the Throttle body was. If you went that way' date=' you wouldn't have to worry about tearing the engine apart as long as it passed leak down. PM me we can work something out.

How would that run anyways? A MPFI block with a carb?[/quote']

He might not have the room for that on the trike.

You can swap the heads, it shouldnt be a problem. Then you can resell them here. I'm sure someone could use a set of new MPFI heads.

If that was a turbo engine there would be return lines for the water and oil on the passenger side head and a EGR port on the drivers side exhaust port.

Johnson']

How would that run anyways? A MPFI block with a carb?

It would run great in a trike. Carb? Take your pick. Dave has a non turbo Spyder mpfi intake for, "make offer".

Doug

Scott might cast an adaptor for him for the right price.

Nawww, EJ it!

Should I make an offer on the heads? :)

He might not have the room for that on the trike.

You can swap the heads, it shouldnt be a problem. Then you can resell them here. I'm sure someone could use a set of new MPFI heads.

If that was a turbo engine there would be return lines for the water and oil on the passenger side head and a EGR port on the drivers side exhaust port.

Ok, thanks guys. I've removed the heads from my old motor today and took them to the Machine shop to get the valves done and deck it so it will be ready when my new motor gets here.

It was advertised as non turbo, so I'm assuming thats not going to be an issue. I'm going to see if I can just swap out the heads with my old ones and put it all together and see how it goes. I'll be sure and post here what developes from this mess. But from all your advice and info and from as near as I can tell from the photos of the new motor, the head swap should be all I need to do. Should know by mid week of next week if the motor gets here that quick. Won't take long to change the heads and get it back together and back in the Trike. I'll probably have a set of duel port heads for sell soon. I'll let you all know.

Bob

It would run great in a trike. Carb? Take your pick. Dave has a non turbo Spyder mpfi intake for, "make offer".

Doug

Scott might cast an adaptor for him for the right price.

Nawww, EJ it!

Should I make an offer on the heads? :)

Well, I'm going to give the head swap idea a try first. If that doesn't work for some reason, I might look into having Scott make that intake accept a Weber carb. I would think putting the Weber 2 bbl on there with a duel intake, should work ok. I really can't see any reason why not. Might even be a good thing. A more positive fuel delivery to each cylinder.

I'll give you a shot at the heads if my swap works.

Bob

Well, I'm going to give the head swap idea a try first. If that doesn't work for some reason, I might look into having Scott make that intake accept a Weber carb. I would think putting the Weber 2 bbl on there with a duel intake, should work ok. I really can't see any reason why not. Might even be a good thing. A more positive fuel delivery to each cylinder.

I'll give you a shot at the heads if my swap works.

Bob

Just some additional thoughts. You'll have some time and money in the head swap, gaskets, sealant. Say you strip the "new" heads down, transfer all the fresh parts onto your "old" heads. Have the old cores cleaned, valve seats machined and or valves lapped in. All easy to do with a little time and money.

Say you have these fresh MPFI cores left over. I let one MPFI "OEM new" head slide on ebay, a board member bought it, I believe. He needed it more than I did, I think. It had one bungled up thread, an easy fix. It sold for about $70.00.

I bought one "OEM new" bare head for $50.00. One reman set from a board member for $170.00, shipped. Good ones.

Well, that gives you some idea of pricing. I wouldn't bust the heads off that block, I'd use it as is. But that's me, and it's not my decision, is it?:) Thanks for the consideration, and definately keep us posted.

Thanks,

Doug

Just some additional thoughts. You'll have some time and money in the head swap, gaskets, sealant. Say you strip the "new" heads down, transfer all the fresh parts onto your "old" heads. Have the old cores cleaned, valve seats machined and or valves lapped in. All easy to do with a little time and money.

Say you have these fresh MPFI cores left over. I let one MPFI "OEM new" head slide on ebay, a board member bought it, I believe. He needed it more than I did, I think. It had one bungled up thread, an easy fix. It sold for about $70.00.

I bought one "OEM new" bare head for $50.00. One reman set from a board member for $170.00, shipped. Good ones.

Well, that gives you some idea of pricing. I wouldn't bust the heads off that block, I'd use it as is. But that's me, and it's not my decision, is it?:) Thanks for the consideration, and definately keep us posted.

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I'm going to have close to $200 into the old heads getting the valve job done and the decking, plus gaskets and sealent as you mentioned. I think I'm just going to run with the reworked heads on the new motor and leave the new heads alone to sell. I was thinking they will be worth clost to $100 each as they will be like new, and could very well be brand new heads, not rebuilt. Don't know if there is a way to tell or not, but either way, they will be like new. The shop thats doing my heads does that kind of work and if they would have been able to find a set of heads to exchange for mine, it would have been $250 for a set, but they couldn't find any so they are just cleaning mine up and doing the valves and seals and decking. The motor they came off of only had 80,000 miles on it so these heads should be in good condition. The whole motor would have been good if the people had not let it sit out in the weather uncovered for a couple years. Messed up the pistons and cylinders and couldn't get enough compression out of it to get it to run. But I'm going to tear it down in the coming months and rebuild it so I'll have it as a good replacement short block for my wifes Trike. Her motor has clost to 180,000 on it now. But since we don't put more than 5 or 6,000 miles a year on them, it may last a long time yet. But it will be good to know we have a replacement on hand, or who knows, Maybe I'll rebuild it and sell it. But for now, I just hopeing my old heads inter change with this new block ok. I should know soon, the motor is due to arive sometime tomorrow. If all goes well, I hope to have it together and in my Trike by Monday.

I'll keep you all posted.

Bob

Thanks Doug,

I was thinking they will be worth clost to $100 each as they will be like new, and could very well be brand new heads, not rebuilt.

Don't know if there is a way to tell or not, but either way, they will be like new.

But for now, I just hopeing my old heads inter change with this new block ok. I should know soon,

I'll keep you all posted.

Bob

You're welcome, sir.

Those heads are a bolt on to your block. No sweat.

A brand new set would be sweet, huh:) Icing on the cake. Have your machinist measure for the "standard height" on those MPFI heads, that's head gasket surface to cam cover surface. How thick the head is.

"Standard height" "90.6 mm (3.567 in)". This will tell you if they've been milled. If they are new, you can tell by looking them over. Check for cracks between the valve seats, one sure clue. Go or no go, as far as being like new. MPFI non turbo heads, used ones, might have survived without cracking even used. Turbo heads, you can pretty much count on them being cracked. I doubt if that block has reman turbo heads on it, btw.

Later on,

Doug

Those heads are a bolt on to your block. No sweat.

A brand new set would be sweet, huh:) Icing on the cake. Have your machinist measure for the "standard height" on those MPFI heads, that's head gasket surface to cam cover surface. How thick the head is.

"Standard height" "90.6 mm (3.567 in)". This will tell you if they've been milled. If they are new, you can tell by looking them over. Check for cracks between the valve seats, one sure clue. Go or no go, as far as being like new. MPFI non turbo heads, used ones, might have survived without cracking even used. Turbo heads, you can pretty much count on them being cracked. I doubt if that block has reman turbo heads on it, btw.

Later on,

Doug

The motor arived this morning and I went to work on it. Been at it all day. So far things are going very well. My reconditioned heads came back looking like new and the shop said he could find no signs of cracking or problems. Valves were ground and new seats and seals and all the normal stuff was done. I got busy and started removing the heads on the new block and everything looks to be the same as the old, so I don't think there will be any surprises. The old heads bolted up no problem. The heads from the new motor look to be brand new. I can't see any sign of them ever being reworked or painted or anything like my old heads look. If not new, they are great reconditioned heads.

I decided to use my cam instead of the one that came on the motor. Just in case the cam was a high lift cam to go with the duel port fuel injected setup. I just about got it all back together today, just a few items to put on and it will be ready to bolt back into the Trike. If all goes well It should be back in place but tomorrow afternoon. My radiators and everything is all in place as I had the other motor init ready to run, so it won't take much to hook it up.

I'll let you all know if it fires up like it should.:banana:

Thanks you all for your assistence.

Bob

I decided to use my cam instead of the one that came on the motor. Just in case the cam was a high lift cam to go with the duel port fuel injected setup.

Will you sell me those cams that came with it? If they are the Non-turbo MPFI XT cams they have the longest duration of any factory CAM. Same lift, just open earlier and closes a bit later.

PM me.

Will you sell me those cams that came with it? If they are the Non-turbo MPFI XT cams they have the longest duration of any factory CAM. Same lift, just open earlier and closes a bit later.

PM me.

Well I'm still trying to get her to run. Trusting the shop manual while putting the cams and timeing belts on, gave me wrong info. So had to pull it down and get the timeing changed 180 degress different on one side. Just about had it running last night but saw that I'm still off by one tooth on the cam gear so I left everything until today. But for the first time, it acted like it was going to fire up this time once I get the timeing corrected. I've sure learned a lot about these little motors this past couple weeks. Pretty basic but pretty nice too. Not nearly as complicated as it first looks.

Anyway, I hope to have a good report later today. If it all goes well and fires up and runs properly, I'll have a very nice set of duel port heads to sell, and a set of cams as well.

Gloyale, you will have first shot at the cams

Bob