Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found a 97 OBW with a bad 2.5 for 500 bucks, I have a 94 2.2 sitting on the engine stand waiting to go in a project. I know it will bolt up ok my question is with the wiring. Has anyone done this swap, or will the bottom half of a 2.2bolt up to a 2.5? Thanks in advance......

I figured as much but I also have a 95 legacy wagon 2.2 as a parts car.... last owner said it ran just needed a fuel pump. How big a job would this be?

the 95 leg 2.2L is the preferred 'swap' engine for 96 - 99 2.5Ls. the few things that aren't a perfect match are minimal.

there's a power steering line mounting bracket.

take the A/C compressor off of your 2.5 and leave it attached to the a/c lines. you'll use the existing compressor with the 2.2L mounting bracket. you can do the same with the power steering pump. this save refilling both.

i think there is one other small thing........

but it's a perfect fit. and will run fine. there are lots of write ups on this.

I don't know anything about and I also sent a message to them, but I haven't gotten a response either. I'm thinking that it needs an engine due to timing belt failure. 100k is when they are near replacement, but too far for me. I replace them at 80k just to be safe. If you do buy that one, I have a 2.5 that needs HG's up here in richmond. It runs great with no noises, but I just haven't gotten to replacing the gaskets yet. It is sitting on the floor of my shed.

Let me know what you find out about the car and if you don't get it I'd like it.

What do you know about the one down there in virginia beach?

You can continue this conversation via email if you want. I will be more than happy to give you all the help I can.

mdjdc1@gmail.com

Mike

FYI - no biggie I just did a 95 2.2 into a 97 OBW (that originally had a 2.5).

I needed to use the AC bracket from the 2.5. So don't be in a hurry to part with that bracket incase the 2.2 AC bracket doesn't work.

The 'other' small thing(s) are some vacuum lines and the breather hoses that come off the heads and go into the airbox. Very minor especially if you don't cut the vacuum lines under the intake when you remove the donor motor.

Dave

the EJ25 has EGR on it. the 1995 EJ22 will only have EGR if it's an automatic. if it's a manual it won't have EGR.

that being said, either will work and run fine but the non-EGR is going to give you codes. i just installed a non-EGR engine into an EJ25 Legacy LSi and it throws the codes for the EGR system. i just don't care. i hate EGR set ups more than i hate the CEL.

for the engines you're talking about the intake manifolds are not interchangeable.

to use the 1994 you would need to use a 1994 (or any year other than 95) single port exhaust manifold.

and you'd have to remove the engine wiring harness off the EJ25 and install it on your EJ22 intake manifold. i've never done it so i can't say how tricky or not tricky that may be. but with the original EJ25 harness on there it'll be plug and play.

for the engines you're talking about the intake manifolds are not interchangeable.

gary, does this mean you can't swap a 95 2.2 intake onto a 94 2,2L block and install it in a 95 ? i just assumed the blocks would be the same, or very very close.

i have recently come across a couple of 95s that 'overheat'. i was wondering if a 94 engine with a 95 intake would work.

ok then I think I'm a little confused, but lets try this I have an 95 2.2 wagon with a 5speed that has a bad engine. I have a fully refurbished 2.2 from a 94 wagon sittting on the engine stand needing a home. Can I swap the 94 2.2 block into a 95 wagon. This is only buggy stuff so codes and crap doesn't matter. I would just like to use what I already have to save money. Thanks in advace for any help you can give me.

gary, does this mean you can't swap a 95 2.2 intake onto a 94 2,2L block and install it in a 95 ? i just assumed the blocks would be the same, or very very close.

sorry - i never saw this thread until it got bumped today. no, that's not what i was referring too (i was talking about EJ22-EJ25 swaps).

you're talking about an EJ22 only swap. the 94 and 95 EJ22 blocks should be entirely interchangeable. for this EJ22 swap - keep the intake manifold with the car and just swap long blocks underneath. the intake manifolds will bolt right up to either one.

if your 1995 is a manual trans it won't have an EGR valve, but the 94 will. so your 1994 EJ22 will have a hole in the head for the EGR pipe. not a big deal, just buy a plug for it. i found one at the hardware store, put sealant on the threads and installed.

but if your 1995 is an auto it will have EGR anyway and you can use it.

some early EJ's (like EJ18) don't have a knock sensor, but the boss, hole and even the threads are there for it. so if the 94 doesn't have a knock sensor, just pull the one off your EJ25 and bolt it on.

your 1995 will have dual port exhaust headers, make sure the 94 does as well. i bet it does since the EJ18's i think all have dual ports. if the 94 ended up being a single port exhaust, no problem just get a single port exhaust header. they are entirely swappable and bolt right up to your existing exhaust.

ok then I think I'm a little confused, but lets try this I have an 95 2.2 wagon with a 5speed that has a bad engine. I have a fully refurbished 2.2 from a 94 wagon sittting on the engine stand needing a home. Can I swap the 94 2.2 block into a 95 wagon.

very similar info to what i just posted for JCE. your 95, because it's a manual, will not have an EGR system on it (SWEET!!!!). the 94 engine should have an EGR port in the rear of the drivers side head where the EGR pipe would normally thread into.

so yes you can use the 1994 - you'll just need to buy a plug at the hardware store (take the old EGR pipe with you to get the right threads). put sealant on the threads and install it in the 1994 EGR pipe hole. i just did this, but can't recall what size the plug was. can't believe i didn't post that...maybe i did?

the only minor issues you *could* have...but i don't even think you will. are the 94 may not have knock sensor (but i think it does - i think it's just the EJ18's that don't have them). even still, the hole and threads are there...so you just bolt your 95 knock sensor right into it.

and the exhaust headers...i'm forgetting if 94 and earlier EJ22's are single or dual port exhaust. i think it's dual...but if it is single, that's not big deal since the single and dual port exhausts are entirely interchangeable - just match the engine.