Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased a ’03 Outback Limited with 67K miles in good condition. Spoke to the previous owner and find out the ATF fluid had never been changed. I purchased 12 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 FULL SYNTHETIC. I poured the drained oil into a gallon jug, about 3.5 quarts and poured 3.5 quarts of fresh oil into fill hole. I was surprised that some oil leaked out of the fill hole and oil is level at the top so somehow it’s overfilled or air is in there somehow. I left the tight fitting funnel in the hole and started the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. Then I put it into R,N,D, Low etc several times with absolutely NO feeling of any shifting, in or out. It’s like all shift ranges are neural. The old fluid was red with no burnt smell and worked well. Should I get Mobil 1 or something to replace it it? IDEAS? :confused: :confused: HELP!!!!! TIA:clap:

the car ran and drove fine before the change?

if you drain the ATF and then pour in the right amount that shouldn't affect anything.

are you sure you didn't confuse the front diff and ATF fluids? the automatic transmissions have two drain plugs and two dipsticks - one for the front diff gear oil and one for the automatic transmission fluid. maybe you confused them...drained one but filled the other or the other way around?

OMG, MY BAD!!! HOW STUPID AM I?? VERY!!!

In the past few weeks I’ve read about the difficulty getting to the ATF file hole. Saw the one on the passengers side and ASSumed that was it! Forgetting the phrase RTFM stupid!

THANK YOU!!

Now before I move the car can you give me a hint as to where the drain plug is for the gear box or whatever it is I overfilled with ATF. In looking at the unit that the filler is, looks similar to a old bell housing, is the drain obvious once underneath and will I need a #70 torx wrench to open the drain. I assume it’s filled where I put the ATF in.

Thanks again. I think it’s time for me to turn in the tools doing stupid things like that.:rolleyes:

so you drained the front diff gear oil but filled through the ATF hole?

so the front diff is completely empty and the ATF is overfilled?

check the front diff level and fill with gear oil, i use synthetic. it's about one quart to fill it up.

drain the ATF and refill, like you already tried to do. i'd do it a couple of times actually, one drain only gets 1/3 of the fluid out, so you need to do a few in order to get mostly new fluid in there.

you really need to figure out what you drained and what you filled before you do anything else.

from your description of how the car didn't 'shift' after your first attack, it sounds like you drained the trans fluid. use the dip stik on the driver side near the fire wall to confirm, do not start the car. once you are sure it's low add the 3.5 qts you tried to add earlier. hopefully this will correct that part of the error. the less you run it the better until you get the fluid back in ti.

next, find the correct drain plug for the front diff and drain it. refill with the correct oil , run drive it a little, and drain and refill again. maybe repeat in a few days. i don't know what this stuff cost, but it's got to be cheaper than reworking the front diff.

next, buy a haynes manual for your car, you'll be glad you did.

Sounds like he drained the tranny (no movement in any gear) and filled the front diff. You need to remove the diff drain plug (easy to spot) and completely drain it. Refill with the recommended fluid. Then fill the tranny with the fluid you originally started with.

To make it clear: I drained the auto transmission and overfilled the diff. Since my last post I filled the transmission with ATF. I'm draining the diff of gear oil and ATF and am heading out in my pu to get some diff oil. Man latly I've been screwing up some free lunches. Let it end now please. How many degrees do you need to hide a dipstick so well?

THANKS AGAIN:grin:

Bet you won't do that again. These are the best learned lessons as long as nothing gets damaged. I've been thinking of tapping into the trannys return cooling line with a hose, running the engine and filling the tranny untl clean fluid pours out the hose. Thinking it might be quicker and more complete fluid change than the old 3 times flush and fill. Any thoughts on this? I did this on the power sterring system last week and it worked out great.

I've been thinking of tapping into the trannys return cooling line with a hose, running the engine and filling the tranny untl clean fluid pours out the hose. Thinking it might be quicker and more complete fluid change than the old 3 times flush and fill. Any thoughts on this?
yep, that works fine if you have the equipment (buckets!) and set up to do it. i believe the trans holds roughly 10 quarts, so have a bit more than that just to be safe.

Glad you figured out which hole was which.

Atleast you didn't actually drive it like that.

I appologize - GG and I were answering the original post at the same time.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll take pics of my ATF 'flush' from 3 drain and fills.

I kept a sample of all 3. Frankly I could feel better about how the fluid still looks. I'll try and take a pic tomorrow. The car was a 2006 Impreza with 52k on it and the ATF never serviced.

This may be a case of where you are either better off paying for the flush or making a gizmo to do a flush.

Dave

One caveat to engrave on your mind before doing your own full flush:

Subarus hate off-level ATFs.

Go by the manual, add new fluid up to a quart of the full fluid recommendation, and then check and recheck it! A bit under full is much better than too full. That stick is not-a-lady. I hate Subaru's ATF stick. By the time you're done you may too. Join the exclusive club! Have forearm burns which will show all fellow Subaru owners you have battled the elusive ATF stick while your engine is hot. :grin:

I don't burn money often, but I will admit I chickened out and had a dealer do my flush. I let them swear over getting it just right. Doing it yourself: cheap. Letting the Subaru mechanic swear, get burned, and get it all done while I waited in an air-conditioned waiting room with an icy-cold Diet Dr. Pepper: :popcorn: priceless... :popcorn: (well, actually, $139.95.)

Add it up: just how much is a quart of Dex III (or whatever you need for your car)? Multiply that by at least 11, the usual amount needed to do your own flush (and maybe a quart more). Add in the cost of cobbling your own flush equipment up for something you might do once a year. Plus, if you're doing it outside, well, hazard pay for either freezing your bum off or broiling it well-done.

(Just a friendly FYI)

Go by the manual, add new fluid up to a quart of the full fluid recommendation, and then check and recheck it! A bit under full is much better than too full. That stick is not-a-lady. I hate Subaru's ATF stick. By the time you're done you may too. Join the exclusive club! Have forearm burns which will show all fellow Subaru owners you have battled the elusive ATF stick while your engine is hot. :grin:

I don't burn money often, but I will admit I chickened out and had a dealer do my flush. I let them swear over getting it just right. Doing it yourself: cheap. Letting the Subaru mechanic swear, get burned, and get it all done while I waited in an air-conditioned waiting room with an icy-cold Diet Dr. Pepper: :popcorn: priceless... :popcorn: (well, actually, $139.95.)

Add it up: just how much is a quart of Dex III (or whatever you need for your car)? Multiply that by at least 11, the usual amount needed to do your own flush (and maybe a quart more). Add in the cost of cobbling your own flush equipment up for something you might do once a year. Plus, if you're doing it outside, well, hazard pay for either freezing your bum off or broiling it well-done.

(Just a friendly FYI)

Are you talking about the front diff stick? Thats a arm burner for sure if you have a turbo :dead:

I have no problems getting to the AT stick, nothing there to get burned on.

Go by the manual, add new fluid up to a quart of the full fluid recommendation, and then check and recheck it! A bit under full is much better than too full.

(Just a friendly FYI)

Thanks for the advise. Fortunately the car didn’t move with my dumb introduction of +3 quarts of ATF in the diff. Boy when the screw came out the fluids came out with a rush. I ran the car locally about 20 miles at less than 40MPH and all felt/sounded good. A few more miles today then a flush for both units. :)

For some ones future info when you drain the differential that I read on one of these forums: put a sheet or two of aluminum foil over the exhaust pipes below the drain hole. It’ll keep em from smoking for a few days.:cool: