Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last of the EA Full Time boxes viscous ?

Hi all , does anyone know if the last of the L or Vortex full time 4WD gearboxes were viscous center types ?

Also its been brought to my attention that second gen Liberty (Legacy over there) have 3.7 ratio in their dual range gearboxes so could in theory make up a box with EA casings and the longer type EJ extention a viscous center .

Cheers A .

I don't mean to hijack this but I am also interested in the fabled EJ D/R....I'm in the Navy and will leave soon for a trip around South America hitting all the cool ports in Brazil, Chile, Peru....ect. Since I can look for it myself and shipping is free I'm seriously considering one to put behind my 2.2 in my buggy. What was the gear ratio in these trasmissions? Do they look just like a EA D/R but with a different bellhousing? And what can be done to modify them? Also if I blew a gear can I use parts from a EA D/R or am I stuck? I would love to not have to use a transfer case in my buggy (weight/length) and I want to run at least 29's any suggestions from our friends down under? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I don't mean to hijack this but I am also interested in the fabled EJ D/R....I'm in the Navy and will leave soon for a trip around South America hitting all the cool ports in Brazil, Chile, Peru....ect. Since I can look for it myself and shipping is free I'm seriously considering one to put behind my 2.2 in my buggy. What was the gear ratio in these trasmissions? Do they look just like a EA D/R but with a different bellhousing? And what can be done to modify them? Also if I blew a gear can I use parts from a EA D/R or am I stuck? I would love to not have to use a transfer case in my buggy (weight/length) and I want to run at least 29's any suggestions from our friends down under? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Aren't all the EJ dual range transmissions FT4WD with a center diff? That wouldn't be so great for an off road buggy. You'd be better off with an EA d/r transmission and an EJ engine adapter plate.

Andy

Aren't all the EJ dual range transmissions FT4WD with a center diff? That wouldn't be so great for an off road buggy. You'd be better off with an EA d/r transmission and an EJ engine adapter plate.

Andy

they're AWD. but the center diff can be swapped for an EA-style FT4WD locking center diff. which would allow you to run an EJ clutch.

BUT, unless you're putting out more than ~150hp, an EA-style clutch is plenty. Which means the cost of the trans, plus the work to completely tear down the tranny to swap the center diff and front pinion (has to match the center diff). and the EJ D/Rs have the 1.196:1 low range.....so swap it out for the 1.596:1 gears.

back to the original question. all EA-series FT4WD 5-speeds had an open, locking center diff. sometimes EJ-series trannies are referred to as FT4WD......but they don't have a locking center diff, so they're just AWD, with the viscous diff.