Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The same thing happened on my 1999 Forester, and now it's my 2006 Forester's turn. When new, the Subaru is one of the fastest starting cars on the market, maybe a second of starter and you're off. Well now, at 50,000 miles, my 2006 Forester needs to crank for a while before the engine starts. But if I turn the ignition key to "on" and let the fuel pump pressurize I'm back to a zippy one second start up. So obviously, the problem is in the fuel delivery system. The check valve in the fuel pump could be broken. The pressure regulator in the fuel return could be shot. Or, less likely, one of the fuel injectors could be leaky. I've run several bottles of Chevron injector cleaner through the system, I didn't really expect any improvement, and I didn't see any.

Any ideas? Since I'm not employed as bank robbery getaway wheelman waiting a second or two for the fuel pump to pressurize is not a big deal.

I'm not inclined to throw a lot of money or time at this problem.

A few thoughts.

Something's going on here. One vehicle with the problem - sh*t happens. Two vehicles with it - I'd say you have a habit which the fuel systems don't like. Maybe the fuel used (I include stations with lousy tanks here, or valley stations in flood-prone areas), the level of fuel kept in the car, or even a tendency to not give the cap 3 clicks (or more) when screwing it back down...

I like fuel inj cleaner, but if you have crud on the bottom of your fuel tank, it'll only make the problem worse as it loosens it and puts it into circulation. Have you noticed an increase in wait time after you added it?

What brand gas do you use? If you use the cheapest around, you may have gunked up the 'sock' on the pump. Do you keep it more towards empty than full? If you let your tank stay near-empty you can get condensation and you may be pulling up debris from the bottom of the tank.

I think there was a thread on the filter in the Foresters being IN the fuel tank :confused: , but have you checked it to see if it's clogged (if you can get at it and it's NOT in the tank)?

Also, check your cap. Maybe you need a new one.

Just to maybe put things into perspective, my engine has always needed 3 or 4 revolutions before springing to life. Be it at 30°C or -30°C. This seems to be common and I remenber discussions here about that where some members even thought that this was voluntarily engineered into the engine in order to raise the oil pressure a bit before the motor actualy starts. Of course, this does not explain why your engine started faster in the beginning.

Just my .02.

I remember my old Honda which would fire after one revolution. None of my Soobs have managed that, they all seem to need about 4.

I dont mind waiting the 2 seconds but it is pretty cool to just hear the engine fire up with no cranking noise.

I remember my old Honda which would fire after one revolution. None of my Soobs have managed that, they all seem to need about 4.

I dont mind waiting the 2 seconds but it is pretty cool to just hear the engine fire up with no cranking noise.

It can take a revolution sometimes just for the computer to figure out where the pistons are.

Back then you just needed the points to open and close once.

nipper

lol by old i meant 1997 MY. Now waimaks brumby - that beast only needs to turn over once :headbang:

Havnt seen many new Fuel injectorised cars that start so quickly.

i actually find some a bit disturbing. When you turn the key to start, for a split second nothing happens. Some of them are going to that really cool "start" button not because they are cool, but because the time it takes you to go from inserting/turning/entering the car to pressing the button, is enough for the computers to boot up.

nipper