Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gaskets? or maybe not?

hi everyone.

i have a 92 loyale which has been sitting for about a year while i tried to find time and parts to do a rear disc swap.

the good news is its finally done.

bad news, it was hard to get it running and when it finally started there was lots of white smoke. (it ran fine and didn't smoke when i parked it last year)

i first thought head gaskets, but i'm not so sure.

i let it run for at least a 1/2 hour, no signs of overheating.

it also drives fine. runs pretty smoothly.

there's no oil in the coolant.

and no coolant in the oil.

is there anything else it might be? i haven't done a compression check yet and unfortunately i'm about 150 miles away from the car.

{edit} i forgot to mention: it smokes more at higher rpms. like when you rev the engine. doesn't seem to smoke more under load. smokes at idle too-just not as much.

yeah . the gas is about a year old. i guess i'll have to check compression and see what fluids dissappear when i drive a while.

If the valve stem seals dried out from sitting they could be letting oil (small amounts) into the cylinders. If that's the case it will probably clear up with use. Keep an eye on all fluids, though. Probably not a bad idea to change the oil.

Andy

If the car sat for a long time the exhaust could have loaded up with poisture and that can take a long drive to get it all out. I've had this happen several times and after idling for several hours or a nice long drive the system cooked the moisture out and the smoking stopped never to return.

If the car sat for a long time the exhaust could have loaded up with poisture and that can take a long drive to get it all out. I've had this happen several times and after idling for several hours or a nice long drive the system cooked the moisture out and the smoking stopped never to return.

i actually thought of that too. and i hope so...but the car was smoking pretty bad as soon as i got it running. before the exhaust got hot.