Ultimate Subaru Message Board

delta cams

Do they grind em for acceleration? Cause at 4k it has a powerband and im haulin balls. But from a stop it takes awhile to get up to speed. Also I know you will know this one. Where can I get Performance parts. IE Coil spark plug wires and clutch. I have the cool air intake figured out.

I had a set of Street 260s in my old '89 RX EA82T and there was a noticable difference. Shifted my powerband up a bit so it would still have decent power at 6k rpms.

Go to your autoparts store. Buy the Accell superstock plug wire generic set of 10, they are 8mm and it was like $50 canadian. It came with good sizes for the boxxer engine. Get the Accell superstock coil. And then get new plugs.

As for a clutch, ebay?

The plug wires are fine but i would stay away from aftermarket coils. From my experience and others they do more harm than good. They will fry the stock ingition module (is that it?) thats in the distributor. At least thats what happened to mine.

From my experience and others they do more harm than good.
yeah search the forums. not only are they very unpredictable and unreliable, they offer nothing in terms of performance.

Magnecor wires are awesome, i use them in everything. check out their website. but don't buy from them, you can get cheaper from distributors online than the magnecor site.

I think they have a couple grades of cams...don't get the "track" cams or whatever they're called. It was my fault even installing them in my daily driver but figured i'd try just for kicks. For an XT6 they were horrible for daily driving. No brakes (do to vacuum losses i was told) and low end was very weak.

"from a stop it takes a while to get up to speed" - i don't think cams are going to help that. most "power" mods increase power, but do so at the expense of shifting the power band slightly higher...away from lower RPM's and away from "being stopped and getting up to speed".

Doesn't sound like he wants to go faster, just more bottom end. You could look for an EA81, seems like they produced more torque than the EA82 at lower RPM. My EA81 produces very good low speed driving torque. Or maybe have the heads shaved to raise compression ratio .5. Lowering your thermostat to a 180 probably will allow you to advance timing 2-3 degrees. May have to run premium gas if you do both though. If the grind on the cam was ground down it should build more torque at lower rpm. Contact them and ask them about a good torque grind. A turbo EA82 would also be a big boost!

I went to a 2-inch exhaust from Y pipe back with a now Magnaflow muffler, 180 thermostat, Webber and from idle to 3k my little Brat feels like it has decent power.

That is what I figured. If you wanted a race car you would have bought something else. I disagree that all performance mods effect top end only and have seen increases in bottom end performance in many vehicles over the years. Have to pick and choose carefully and research.

I disagree that all performance mods effect top end only and have seen increases in bottom end performance in many vehicles over the years.
true that. i am no performance guru by any means. but i never claimed this was true for all modifications, and all engines all the time.

i was answering his question for his vehicle. i think it goes without saying that what is mentioned here may not apply to a wide range of other things. we're talking about a very small and low powered engine. it's going to take significant changes to get any noticeable (real world) increases. doing that across the entire RPM range for this engine is going to be tough. if i'm wrong i'd love some specific information and correction, it would certainly help a lot of us.

Don't take me the wrong way please as I didn't intend to offend. I have owned a 1997 F150 and a 2000 F150 both fairly heavy trucks with the large V6. I did alot of work to the 2000 and saw major improvements in lower and midrange driveabililty even though many claimed I was wasting my time. Many also claimed most anything I did would hurt lower rpm torque which actually seemed to increase right much. I base this on transversing hills in cruise were the truck use to kick out of overdrive and then never did again even carring heavier loads. I am not implying that True2blue can expect knock your socks off gains but can increase the driveability in the range that he wants. I have the EA81 and really am not totally sure of the differences between the two if he has the EA82. If he could gain 3-4 ft lbs. of torque at 2k would he be able to tell, I think so. I listed the largest part of what I have done to my Brat and it does have good lower range torque, better than stock when I bought it 10 years ago. Some people will claim free flowing exhaust will reduce lower rpm power but if done correctly it will not. Two inches is not excessive in these little 4 cyl. engines with a good baffled muffler such as Magnaflow. Increasing timing and compression will give more power and a lower grind cam also. I have increased the timing on my Brat and installed the 180 degree thermostat many years ago, still can use regular 87 with 3 degree advance. Not shaved any heads or installed new pistons on the Brat but do know that compression generally makes good power, of course to a lesser degree on a 1.8l. I removed the AC comprssor because of the extra 3/4-inch I had to push the petal to maintain 55-60 mph when I turned it on. Had the comprerssor pulley cut off the crank pully which dropped about 20 ozs. of spinning mass. I have the dreaded Superstock coil installed for the last 9 years with no trouble but nobody knows what tomorrow brings, mine is the older version before out sourcing came along. Can't say if it really made a difference but it still works. I bought a Accell racing wire V8 universal set the same 9 years ago and made them up and installed them. Checking with an ohm meter years ago seems like half the resistance or so of the wires that were on the Brat, can't really remember. Any excess weight that can be removed will also a bonus.

Every vehicle I have messed with over the years I did so with a single purpose, not raw power but increased drivability in the rpm range I tended to be in the most. Any top end gains I personnally never used much.

Don't take me the wrong way please as I didn't intend to offend.
oh no, not at all. he originally asked about cams, i'm not sure what they do but i'm Delta cams can probably answer that or search for graphs here i know some people have dyno'ed their cams. Myxalplyx is one person who has (his results weren't too good though, but that's just one).

I have the EA81 and really am not totally sure of the differences between the two if he has the EA82.
they are very similar. pistons are interchangeable to a degree. i would think similar mods will have similar results so either is good info for the other.

good points about overall mod's, he didn't mention that so that put me in "box thinking mode". i do think the XT6 performs much better with a straight through muffler and some minor exhaust work, at least for my style of driving.

Grossgary, one of the main reasons I feel there has been a decent torque increase in my little brat was when I first bought it 10 years ago you have to turn about 110 degrees to enter my driveway and then it raises up a little. At first turning in I would try to go to first which it didn't really care to do unless you were about stopped. Second acted as if it was just a little to tall for the speed to make the turn. For years now I make the turn easily in second gear and it pulls it without hesistation. It was a noticable difference even though it might only amounted to a foot lb or 3 gain. Top end doesn't show me much but with almost 210k miles I can't remember the last time I took it past 4k rpm. Okay top end hasn't ever showed me anything that I can remember but that isn't why I bought the brat.

so ive been talking to the guys at ram performance. i looked at the hp kits and i like the "hemi" pistons, i think to get what i want i need to build the engine inside out. order a hp kit and delta cams. run cool air intake and hotter burning plugs i already have a good exhaust:cool:

the wagon has got it goin on:lol:

i just want that 1 up, so im at a stop no ones around and i rev it to 5k and pop the clutch, bam they light up :burnout: i shift to 2nd and my clutch dd more burnin then the tires!!:eek: the clutch is good too.. it has some bottom end. i just want better acceleration:rolleyes:

True2blue hasn't mentioned that his wagon is lifted and has (I think) 27" tires, which is the big reason that he can't make it up hills in 4th gear. Probably no mods he can do to the stock engine are going to change that, but it can certainly be improved on.

I agree that bottom end can be improved on these engines. My '85 wagon has a Weber carb and a straight through exhaust (muffler only, no cat), and it is definitely a little more torquey than all the SPFI engines I have ever driven.

Andy

anyone know the improvment from switching to delta cams?

Your best bet when wanting info about Delta Cams, would be to give them a call and get your answers straight from the source. I only know of a couple of folks who used their cams, and none of those have piped up here.

I can speak for Qman when I say that the cams make a substantial difference. His little Brat is a screamer!

I only know of a couple of folks who used their cams, and none of those have piped up here.
i have. but mine were the "track" cams, which i don't recommend. and i installed a set for another board member, he has dyno graphs posted here or on the subaruxt forum. i believe his were the street/mild grinds, he posted pictures of the spec's.