Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Assortment of legacy and impreza questions

First off I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my other questions, the information was very helpful, this board and its members rock:headbang: .

So here are my new questions:

1. Do the 1996-2000 impreza outback sports get their extra height difference from the standard impreza from having lift blocks like the legacy outbacks do, or is it from the larger tires it comes with from the factory.

2. Did the 1996-2000 impreza outback sports come with 4.11 gearing in manual and 4.44 in auto or do they have the standard impreza gearing of 3.9 manual and 4.11 auto.

3. If they didn't come with the 4.11 manual or 4.44 auto can I just put one from a 1996-1999 legacy outback in it, I know it will physically bolt up but will the sensors and stuff be the exact same, simple plug and play, and in the manuals case are they the same type of tranny ie are they both cable operated or hydraulic operated or are they push or pull style. As you can tell I'm not really clear about much on these trannys.

4. Can a 1996-99 4.44 auto outback tranny work on a 1990-94 turbo legacy with no check engine lights coming on, or other problems, because one is obdI and the other is obdII, would the obdII just have a couple extra sensors not being used and I assume the tcu from the obdI turbo legacy would need to be used.

5. Do jdm manual transmissions with 4.44 have the same shift pattern as our U.S. cars or is it reversed since their steering is on the other side, and would a jdm transmission work with our U.S cars ie do they have all the same sensors, would it also be plug and play and have no check engine lights.

As you can tell I have been bitten by the modified suby bug again:grin: and am looking to into my options for a new project. Trying to minimize the performance loss when going to even bigger tires this time and more lift, and yes I know I will need to also change the rear diff to match.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help with the questions.

Thanks for the info I guess I am going to start looking for an impreza outback sport and swap in a 4.11 manual from a legacy outback because I think they use the same style manual trannys.

On the other hand I like the body style of the first gen legacy wagons and would still like to know if the newer 4.44 auto from the obd2 outback will work with the obd1 system of a 1990-94 turbo wagon or non turbo wagon with no problems. That would look mean lifted and with some flares off a nissan 1995 pickup or the flares off a 1996 or newer pathfinder and 29inch firestone mud terrains:slobber:.

Oh and incase anybody is wondering my daily driver is a 1995 legacy lsi sedan lifted with outback kyb gr2 struts and pedder heavy duty stock height springs and I run 27 bridgestone dueler at revos, just swapped on dual piston front calipers and hopefully soon to be swapped 4.44 transmision and diff from an outback. I think I have like 12 or 13 inches under the rear diff:eek: I will try and post up some pics when I get a camera.