Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear shock extensions

Gyoas759

I'm planning on ordering a 4 inch lift kit this week. :banana: I know I saw a way to cut a pair of old shocks to slide over and bolt to an existing pair to get the necessary lift from them but I just did about 5 searches and can't find the process. Anyone know of the thread I'm talking about or have some good info and pics on how to do this? I assume add 4 inches of length to the shock for a 4 inch lift?

Is there an easier way or a good source for a shock that will fit the 4 inch lift? Particularly if it's something that could be found in the JY.

I'm not sure what gen you are speaking of, but by reading your bio I'm going to assume you are talking about an EA81 rear shock setup.

For a temporary set of shocks on the rear of my EA81 wagon, I took the stock shocks, and ground off the upper mounting loop. The stockers were welded lightly, and some careful grinding took the top loop right off. Be careful if you do this, don't grind too deep or aggressively as you could damage the shock.

I then cleaned, and dressed both pieces to prepare them for welding.

I then cut 2 pieces of (one for each shock) 1/4" walled 1" diameter pipe 4" in length (for a 4" lift), and cleaned them on each end. I fish mouthed one end of the 1" pipe for the stock shocks upper loop to mate better to the 1" pipe. I then tacked everything in place, and gave it the roll test to make sure stuff was straight.

When you weld the top piece onto the pipe it will get hot, and the rubber bushing will catch fire, so be ready to quench it frequently.

The shocks worked fine, and I had only planned on using them temporarily. They made a couple of wheeling trips, and I never had any problem with them.

I think OneEye still has them on a lifted wagon if I'm not mistaken.

I eventually bought some aftermarket ones I ordered by dimension from the shock book. I think most all shocks anyone has found to use from other sources have required light fabrication to get them to work. Mostly just a redrill of the upper mounting holes. I believe the popular setup for a 4" lift is a set from a Toyota LandLoser.

I'm not sure what mine are as I ordered them by dimension.

I'm planning on ordering a 4 inch lift kit this week. :banana: I know I saw a way to cut a pair of old shocks to slide over and bolt to an existing pair to get the necessary lift from them but I just did about 5 searches and can't find the process. Anyone know of the thread I'm talking about or have some good info and pics on how to do this? I assume add 4 inches of length to the shock for a 4 inch lift?

Is there an easier way or a good source for a shock that will fit the 4 inch lift? Particularly if it's something that could be found in the JY.

Who are you ordering you're kit from??? Most companies (SJR,AA,BYB) have some sort of shock arrangement covered. SJR and BYB uses blocks at the top which allow you to use you're factory struts. AA adds extensions to the bottom.

Are you sure you're going to need to do anything with the struts?

I'm not sure what gen you are speaking of, but by reading your bio I'm going to assume you are talking about an EA81 rear shock setup.

Yes. EA81 rears.

Who are you ordering you're kit from??? Most companies (SJR,AA,BYB) have some sort of shock arrangement covered. SJR and BYB uses blocks at the top which allow you to use you're factory struts. AA adds extensions to the bottom.

SJR is the plan. "installer must provide new rear shocks 4" longer then stock"

The set up I had seen cut the tops off an old pair, slid them over the top of another set and bolted them together. Just trying to get some decent visuals.

Yes. EA81 rears.

Ah yes, I forgot about the EA81 SJR kit.

I believe there are aftermarket shocks available that will bolt in and are 3-4 inches longer.

I think Slideshow? Was making kits and had the stock # for the longer shocks.

Perhaps search his posts?

This is the thread. Page 6. perhaps PM him for the part #s

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82483&page=6&highlight=lift

"installer must provide new rear shocks 4" longer then stock"

followed by the rancho part number. if you'd rather go cheaper, the application is a 2" lifted TJ Wrangler. I just finished installing some Rough Country shocks on my buddies brat. pretty straight forward swap.

Yes. EA81 rears.

The set up I had seen cut the tops off an old pair, slid them over the top of another set and bolted them together. Just trying to get some decent visuals.

Sorry man, never seen the setup of which you speak.

I can totally understand why you want to do this, keeping it low budget and all. I'm a big fan of that kind of stuff. I would honestly look into the kind of setup I described, it was really simple. Basically it is the same idea, just welded rather than bolted. And if you already have a decent pair of stock shocks lying there, you may as well use them!:burnout:

Once you do go for new shocks though, mine were only like $45 for the pair at NAPA.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

AA doesn't use the strut bottom lift any more, I don't think. They do the top like everybody else.

Andy

Just figured I'd clarify before this turned into an EA82 post that is full of useless info to this guy....:burnout:

Thanks.

I finally found the spot where I originally saw this mod.

http://www.subarubrat.com/easyshock.htm :headbang:

That's the direction I was hoping to go. I guess this extends the bottom and not the top. Looks like it's about a 2 inch extension in those pictures? Would 4 be pushing it?

Thanks.

I finally found the spot where I originally saw this mod.

http://www.subarubrat.com/easyshock.htm :headbang:

That's the direction I was hoping to go. Looks like it's about a 2 inch extension in those pictures. Would 4 be pushing it?

Whatever ammount of lift you are doing, be sure to match the same dimension with the shocks. I messed around with this a bit on the shocks I made.

I made a set 1" shorter than my lift to act as limiting straps, I did this as I had heard of the problems EA81s had with breaking rear axles with the tire completely dropped. They worked fine, however, they did bottom out under compression. Aside from it being annoying; I'm sure it was very tough on the stock mounting.

So, in my opinion, if you are doing a 4" lift; be sure to do 4" extension on your stock shocks. If you go too long, you will allow more rear suspension flex, and probably break axles with the suspension dropped/flexed out. If you go to short; you will experience the bottoming out that I did.