Ultimate Subaru Message Board
nevbrat

is it possible for 5 speed swap in gen 1

5 speed d/r, or 2wd? the dual range you will need a lift or some custom metal work on the trans tunnel or it wont fit. Also you would need a fat case EA71 ebgine bellhousing or a modified(?) EA81 engine bellhousing for the trans to mount to the motor, as well as custom tranny crossmember, driveshaft, and linkage. Doing a 5 speed/EA81 swap in a 80 Brat right now, 3 inch lift in the front, 6+ in the rear.

The 2wd 5 speed was available in that body style, would be a bolt in I would imagine, you'd just have to dump the rear 4wd stuff.

my top speed is like 65 mph in my 78 brat i just bought.

That has nothing to do with your transmission. You have not yet learned the ways of the EA engine. I could easily do 90-100 in every 4 speed I've owned. You have much to learn, and a lot of repair/tuning to do.

GD

I've got the appropriate car sans engine and tranny as well as the transmission in question. I could try slipping them together this weekend. Hmmmm, ideas just came to my head.... :popcorn:

How much of a lift is required to get this to fit?

Thinking about doing this to mine but don't want to go any higher than necessary.

the dual range you will need a lift

I have fit an EA81 with 4 spd d/r into my old 79 wagon. It did however require some creativity. The 4x4 shift leaver was tricky but a little tweek here and a bend there and a few modifies parts and it is a scream'n machine. Sold it to a friend a couple of years ago and it is now over 450,000 mi. All he does is change the oil and put gas in it. I love the EA motor. GD is right, before I did the swap I had it over 100mph several times with the old EA71 stock set-up. Why else would they come stock with a speedometer that goes up to 140 mph :grin: It is not a transmission problem.