Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car wont start... help please?

The car had been sitting since friday, and i started it saturday morning with no problems. Worst part is i broke my hand friday and can't really do any work on the car myself. grr. sorry if i leave out any info.

I assume a broken timing belt means very bad news for me.

It's an interference motor so yes, bad news for you. Hopefully you've just bent some valves.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I figure pulling both heads, timing belt, etc. at the minimum. I'd just pull the engine to make it all easier to inspect and fix. I recently bought a car where an idler pulley failed and bent the valves. I just put a 2.2 in it.

Dave

well i'll wait to see the repair quote once i can get the thing to the shop, but it looks like i'll be fixing the car and selling. HG, trans, and now a busted timing belt all within a year and a half.

Sad to say, but my confidence is quite shaken.

there was an oil leak from the tbelt cover, but i specifically asked the shop to check it out, just in case. It's possible the belt was compromised, but it could also be another component. The shop is open tomorrow so i just have to wait and see.

big question... could this be the starter? engine is quiet, doesnt seem to be turning over, but i can hear the starter still. No metallic noises in the engine...

Is there a way to test this without digging into the front of the engine?

thanks for any help

when i tried to start my car this morning, the car would sound like it was turning over real fast, but didn't feel like the engine was fully turning over. difficult to explain, ut the car definitely won't start :confused:
big question... could this be the starter? engine is quiet, doesnt seem to be turning over, but i can hear the starter still. No metallic noises in the engine...
I was thinking starter drive problem myself, and was going to comment on that possibility. However, you said "didn't feel like the engine was fully turning over", so I assumed it was at least partially engaged; apparently so did others, hence the suggestions of a broken timing belt.

Is there a way to test this without digging into the front of the engine?
Are the crank pulley and any driven accessories turning? If not, either the starter drive has failed, or the flywheel gear has missing teeth.

If the crank pulley, etc., are turning, unfortunately you're back to the likelihood of a broken timing belt.

i apologize for any confusion, I've never had a problem like this before (and vicodin doesnt help diagnosing).

When I have some help I'll check the pulleys while crankng.

Thank again, I sure hope it is the starter. Then maybe my wallet will stop screaming.

i apologize for any confusion, I've never had a problem like this before (and vicodin doesnt help diagnosing)[...].
No apologies are needed. I've been on some heavy-duty painkilling meds myself the last few days, so I can empathize. Good luck -- let us know what you determine, when you get the chance.

well, the crank pulley is turning.

So much for an easy fix.

About how much is a 96 obw at w/ 122k and a 70k transmission worth?

Not really. It could still be4 something easy. You are running away with ideas of "OMG!!! my car won't start! it's completely f****d!!"

First, have you checked all the fuses? And the fusible links under the hood?

Have you checked if there is spark when the engine is cranked?

Have you connected the test connectors to read any codes?

Is the oil cap on?

There is an even longer list of very simple things it could be. People are guessing timing belt because of you're description of the engine turning over fast. That could just be the sound of it turning and not sparking.

Check the fuses and fusible links. Test for spark. THEN.... If you find nothing, pull the outer ends of the timing belt covers and inspect the belt.

I am betting it's something else, something simple.

[...]There is an even longer list of very simple things it could be. People are guessing timing belt because of you're description of the engine turning over fast. That could just be the sound of it turning and not sparking.[...]
Yes, it's difficult to diagnose from thousands of miles away. If only someone were closer...

[...]I am betting it's something else, something simple.
You may be right. Let's see, Corvallis and Beaverton. Hmmm...

Since eagleb has a broken hand and is on painkilling meds, how about a trip of about 1&1/4 hours, east a bit on 20, then north on 5 (at least that's what a Google map seems to indicate), to be sure? :)

Perhaps a person who might benefit from that could pick up the tab for the gas, etc. :popcorn:

Since eagleb has a broken hand and is on painkilling meds, how about a trip of about 1&1/4 hours, east a bit on 20, then north on 5 (at least that's what a Google map seems to indicate), to be sure? :)

Perhaps a person who might benefit from that could pick up the tab for the gas, etc. :popcorn:

I'd be happy to. I must say though that here on the USMB is the only place I *work* on Subarus for free.

Getting my hands dirty turning wrenches in RL (real life, as oppossed to this virtual one) is the work I get paid for.:grin::clap:

That said, I charge very reasonable rates, and would be more than happy to give EagleB an honest, Subaru specific, evaluation and possible repair (depending on what is diagnosed). I could use a reason to go to portland for a few things.

would be more than happy to give EagleB an honest, Subaru specific, evaluation and possible repair (depending on what is diagnosed). I could use a reason to go to portland for a few things.

Me too but my gas tab is condsiderably higher. Sounds like a starter problem to me. If the t-belt snapped it would probably make a funny cranking rhythm...unless it jumped some teeth and all cylinders happen to have one valve open.

Easy test which i used on a car recently was to have an assistant crank the motor at full throttle while i hold my hand over the exhaust. VERY easy to tell if something isnt right (the Impreza i was checking out gave 3 puffs and one suck).

[...]Sounds like a starter problem to me. If the t-belt snapped it would probably make a funny cranking rhythm...unless it jumped some teeth and all cylinders happen to have one valve open.
I'd otherwise buy a starter problem, but when I asked eagleb, the response was "well, the crank pulley is turning". As to an uneven cranking rhythm, no one seems to have asked yet -- however, it could have open valves, or "closed" (but bent) ones that aren't sealing, allowing the cranking pace to be relatively even but faster than if there was full compression.

Easy test which i used on a car recently was to have an assistant crank the motor at full throttle while i hold my hand over the exhaust. VERY easy to tell if something isnt right (the Impreza i was checking out gave 3 puffs and one suck).
Can I assume you dealt with a bad exhaust valve on that cylinder? :)

it feels like theres a lack of compression when turning over, but I don't remember hearing/feeling any uneven cranking rhythm.

Mt coil pack is about a year and a half old, so I'm just assuming it's still sending spark. I'll check that tonight.

I'm going to see if my mechanic has any spare cam and crank sensors I can use to be sure those aren't the problem.

If none of those check out, I'll pull half the timing cover and see if there's any noticeable issues in there.

Thanks for the offer to come help, but my dad and a couple of buddies will help me with this easy stuff.

If we still can't figure it out, we'll rent a trailer and take it to the shop.

There really isn't any room to do serious work at my apt.

Aside from fuses/spark/sensors/timing cover, anything else that's easy to check?

Thanks again, sorry if my responses are slow.

Can I assume you dealt with a bad exhaust valve on that cylinder? :)

I informed the seller it wasnt an electrical problem, took my money and ran. A 1995 Impreza manual for $400 and it wasnt worth the money - totally screwed

it feels like theres a lack of compression when turning over, but I don't remember hearing/feeling any uneven cranking rhythm.[...]
Unfortunately, there's nothing good that causes lack of compression. If your perception of increased cranking speed is accurate (likely due to lessened resistance from the engine), then that's the thing to investigate.

I would check the compression of each cylinder. This will tell the story of what needs to be checked.
Exactly! With good compression, checking further for spark, etc., makes sense. However, if there's a compression problem, the rest doesn't matter -- pull the timing belt covers and see what's up, then.