Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback binding? when in reverse and turning

When I back the Outback in reverse, it has the distinct sensation of slowing/binding toward the right rear area.. Only when backing up and turning.

It feels just like when you back a regular 4wd on dry pavement..

The car has 134K miles on it

5 speed manual trans

2.2L engine

I have a warranty on this car so I would like to get this figured out asap

Thanks! :dead: or :banana: ??

sounds like torque bind to me.....i also had this problem on my 96 legacy at about 190,000 miles......from what i understand this type of condition is caused by a worn Viscous Coupler located in the tailhousing/transfer case bolted to the rear of the transmission......i remember pricing one for my 96' at my local Subi dealer and part cost would have set me back about $550 (if i did the labor myself)........i never got around to gettting it or putting it in becuase i had other trans problems and decided to just throw in another used low mileage trans.......oh also another sign you can get with a worn out VC is the tires dragging/screeching when you turn.........to see if it is your VC you can just unbolt/remove the rear driveshaft and take her for a spin......if the binding goes away chances are youve got a bad VC......

WOuld that be the same if its a 5 speed manual?

between auto's and 5 speeds? yes and no. the binding and symptoms are the same...the causes might be the same, but the fixes and inner workings of the transmission are completely different from auto's to manuals. they are not even remotely similar.

what you need to know is that the center differential is starting to fail. it is only going to get worse unless you do something about it now. do it while it's under warranty, this is not an "asy" (well - define easy?) fix as it's inside the transmission.

the first step is to make sure all your tires are the same size, tread, and pressure. differences like this stress the differential because it causes the tires to rotate at different speeds.

the second step is to change your fluid and drive it for awhile and hope it frees up....this works sometimes. probably depends how bad it is and how long it's been "let go". you can also try a "concoction", various additives or different fluids may help free the unit up from binding. you can search for more information and ideas about that.

the final fix is to replace the unit or the transmission. that'll be a few hundred dollars depending on parts used and if you're doing the work yourself or not.

I was asking about the transmission because I was unsure if the first replier was aware I had a manual as his/her post did not specify auto or manual.

Sure hope this is a simple fix.. Only seems to do it when I am turning right and going either backwards or forwards. Doesn't do it all the time and doesn't do it when I am going straight

I was asking about the transmission because I was unsure if the first replier was aware I had a manual as his/her post did not specify auto or manual.

Sure hope this is a simple fix.. Only seems to do it when I am turning right and going either backwards or forwards. Doesn't do it all the time and doesn't do it when I am going straight

it won't do it when you are going strait. the front and rear wheels need to be turning at different speeds to have torque bind. going strait, they turn the same.

try going forward in slow tight turns, wheels turned all the way to the right. then try the left. this is the test for binding. it's all determined by the speed difference front and rear.

you need to check the things i already mentioned and do the gear oil change. you won't feel it when going straight, that's impossible. the more you drive it the more you're likely doing more, and irreversible, damage to it.

that previous poster mentioned a VC - which is for a manual transmission only, so his was a manual trans as well. the automatics don't have those.

yes mine is a 1996 legacy 2.2 liter with a 5 spd. manual trans.......its not that bad to replace in the car.....you just need time.....yeah you can take a look at my past threads ive started...there is one that discusses my torque bind problem.....i think WAwalker helped out with step by step directions with pictures of what to do........

find a flat open parking lot.

do a figure 8 at idle - lock right turn 360 degrees followed by lock left turn 360 degrees. that's the torque bind test set-up.

after changing the fluids and/or adding some concoctions to the gear oil that's also a good way to try and get it to free up...once all the proper checks, tires, and pressures have been done.

When I back the Outback in reverse, it has the distinct sensation of slowing/binding toward the right rear area.. Only when backing up and turning.

5 speed manual trans

2.2L engine

Putting any gear oil or "concoctions" in the tranny will not help a 5 speed manual trans, as the center diff is a Viscous Coupler and is a sealed unit. You can't circlulate fresh oil through it like you can with an automatic.

You're center diff is starting to lock up, which is a sign of abuse in the past. That abuse being running with mismatched or underinflated tires, or being really stuck and spinning one wheel for a long time. There is no cure other than replacement of the VC. If you can, use the warantee, but they will squeel.

Putting any gear oil or "concoctions" in the tranny will not help a 5 speed manual trans, as the center diff is a Viscous Coupler and is a sealed unit. You can't circlulate fresh oil through it like you can with an automatic.

You're center diff is starting to lock up, which is a sign of abuse in the past. That abuse being running with mismatched or underinflated tires, or being really stuck and spinning one wheel for a long time. There is no cure other than replacement of the VC. If you can, use the warantee, but they will squeel.

What he said. It can also make for some very odd (read non-safe) handling in the rain.

Have it fixed.

nipper