Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing a windshield?

So I need to replace the windshield on my wagon. Never done it before, but it doesn't look too difficult to do. I have access to a cold knife, and the local pull and save has a few subes and only charges $22 for a windshield. Is it worth my time to do myself? Is it tougher then it looks? Glass places want over $200 to do it and not carrying full coverage on the car.

search the forum here, there's actually a lot of good information on doing it yourself. search button is just up above your thread. search in the discussion forum.

there are many complaints about doing this job yourself ranging from difficult to get right, easy to break the new windshield, to being a severe safety hazzard if not done right.

that being said, i know people that have done it and there are some good tips and instructions on here about doing it.

also $200 sounds really high. i've gotten windshields for an XT6 for $160-$180 before...that's at a professional glass shop with installation, brand new windshield, and warranty.

i'd price around. they'll install a used windshield too...but not offer warranty. i sourced a used one for a friend and he had it installed no problem.

Thanks for the input, I am gonna call around some more, but so far it hasn't been promising.

For the record, I searched numerous different strings of words and got stuff that wasn't even related to windshields at all.

i replaced one in my former 93 leg turbo. It is a 2 person job, i used piano wire with vise grips and gloves to cut out my old one, the piano wire kept breaking tho, that is how much heat builds up when slicing it out. Also, you have to use a sewing needle/sharp point to get a hole cut somewhere to start, to feed the piano wire threw.

and here is a tip->be careful not to cut thru the headliner at the top of the window inside.

all went pretty well, and it never leaked that i know of. prep the area, use a rust inhibitor on any scratches or nicks before you put in the replacement glass.

when you only carry liablility insurance, this job is handy to know about

You should find someone who can do it for about $90, professionaly done if you supply the window. That is the best, cheapest route.

My .02 cents.

I recently paid to have my Hatch done, $300. I did my Wagon 3 years ago, about $25 for window and $20 for glue, $15. for good caulk gun. I used the hot glue method. Clean inside edge of window good, apply pre-treater. I heated my glue cartridges too 210 def. F. by getting an alluminum cheap pan, layed an inch of sand in, layed tube in and burried sand over the top. the sand will act like a heat sink and bring the temp up at a constant rate. Set BBQ on med. and put inside.... over an hour.. used a needle thermometer and checked temp. by sticking into center of sand between cartridges to assure temp to about 220 and held there for about 10 min. Gets fuzzy here... cant remember if your suppose to pierce tubes first before heating etc.. but pre-cut ends to proper shape before heating. Prior to glueing I aligned window with spacer on the bottom taped in place to assure window can be quickly centered by resting window on lower spacers so the window won't slide down. Assured all nicks and scratches to paint under window were properly treated to prevent rust.

Pull out Hot glue cartridges, (wear leather gloves) lay down proper bead of glue, (I used two people, 2 glue guns-must be heavy metal ones-not cheap-o's) lay in window and press in the middle and work out and press around glued area, allow to cure.

Which ever product you use if you do it yourself there is mfg. info available on line to help.

Since I have done one and paid for one complete install... I personally think the install should be left to those who have at least worked under someone who know's what they are doing. A local shop said if I got the window he would install it for $90. that is the best route if a person wants to do it cheaply but assure to have it done right and it needs to be done right.