Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t to ea81 question? need help quick.

will a ea82t engine bolt up to a ea81 transmision??? im trying to decide whether to buy an engine this weekend and if anybody knows that would be awesome. thanks guys.

It will "bolt up" but without some type of engine management, it will not run.

By far, not a *plug and play* engine swap.

Not very many have been done because of it being a PITA.

You need to also find a turbo x-member, otherwise the up-pipe wont clear.

You can hack it out with a sawsall, but thats a last resort. Will need to change the fuel pump for more PSI. Will also need to figure out the ECU/knock sensor and wiring harness. That one will be your biggest hurdle.

so it wouldnt be as simple as finding an ecu/wiring harness and hooking it all up? x member is no big deal, i have a little bit of fab skill. well maybe not skill per say but i have tools. (welder,plasma cutter, sawsall). and the fuel pump and also lines is no big deal, i get a good deal on those from a friend. im just worried about the wiring.

If my memories serve me right (which it rarely does) you would be the first to try this. You will should be able to get help from a few with the schematics, but otherwise you would be on your own. Except for the few electrical guru's here that might be able to help.

If my memories serve me right (which it rarely does) you would be the first to try this. You will should be able to get help from a few with the schematics, but otherwise you would be on your own. Except for the few electrical guru's here that might be able to help.

Nah... there a few EA82T brats and wagons out there. Not many, mostly done before the availabilty of EJS became so great.

No one has mentioned that the frame rails are too narrow for the EA82t without modification.

But if you are going to go throught he trouble of instaling an MPFI engine, put an EJ22 or 25 in it.

i have put an ea82 carb motor in an ea81. i also put in the ea82 5spd to go with.

otherwise you have to enlarge the flywheel holes or mix and matuc pressure plates.

as far as the other way around goes, i have put ea81 in a turbo ea82 car body.

either way you will have to hack the waring harness into the car. you could very well go with an ej22 with all the work involved, and then slap on your typical aftermarket wrx junk