Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Oil Leak on Front. Help!!

My kids 91 Loyal has a major oil leak on the front of the engine somewhere near the oil pump or base area of the timing belt covers. He doesn't really know the exact location. :confused: I see some fresh looking oil at the head/block junction but not enough to prove anything. He pulled the engine, so running it is not an option at this point. Is there any way to pump up the oil on this model without running it? If not does anyone have any recommendations on what seals or gaskets to replace before re-inserting the engine? I also checked the bucket of anti-freeze and looked at the oil and it does not appear to be a head gasket.

Jerry

Front crank seal, cam seals, and oil pump seals are likely. Just do them all - you'll find the culprit in the process. Running the oil pump wouldn't do any good unless the engine was turning. Best thing is just to do it all.

GD

Would you know of an online exploded view of this thing with part numbers? It would sure make it easier to order parts.

dont forget there is an oil pump shaft seal. there is also an undersize replacement seal as trhe seal can wear a groove on the shaft. you can also set the seal so it is not riding on the groove.

withthe timing belts off, you can spin up the oil pump pulley with a 12mm socker on a drill or impact, clockwise.

here is an article if that helps:

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/oilpump.htm

• Like 1

pulled the engine for an oil leak? is that it?

just replace the oil pump seal/oring/gasket, crank seal, cam seals and cam oring (that reside just behind the cam cap that holds the cam seals). all very easy to do in the car, it's all right behind the timing belt. do it all at once and be done with it.

install a new belt, oil soaked belts don't last long. a installed a brand new one that got oil on it last summer and it only last a couple months.

while it's out replace the valve covers (easy)...and possibly more if you'd like...seal the cams, cam tower orings, head gaskets....wherever you want to draw the line.

My 88 has a good sized leak near the drivers side head. I got a kit to do the timing and full gasket replacement. Its a project car to displace my wife's thirsty Lexus V8, so I can take my time. Oddly enough, she likes the Soob.

:clap:

I ride a motorbike daily, so 75mpg will not be replaced for my transport. Would be nice to have heat and a windshield occasionally in the winter, even in Texas!

• 1 month later...