Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 loyale, off idle dead spot

I would LOVE to retrieve the codes if only I could find the (&^%$##@%& connectors!!

The green connector(test mode) is under the hood near the driver's side strut tower and was connected. This caused the check engine light to come on. I have since disconnected it. But I cannot find the black connectors. I was under the dash, laying on the floor with my head on the brake pedal for 45 minutes with no luck.

thanks

Jake

Two areas to focus on in cases where there's hesitation or a 'dead spot' just after pulling away from a stop: 1) Check the TPS adjustment , and, 2) Check the PCV valve. Even if it's only partially plugged up, it will act like a bad accelerator pump in a carbed vehicle. Oftentimes, one of these two is the culprit.

Best of luck

ScottG

+1 on the TPS

Carefully pry off the TPS, use a razor to cut the glue and remove the plastic top cover, clean with a Q-tip and carb or MAF cleaner all over the circuit board, especially the "track" that the "feet" rub on. Put the cover back on, dab a tiny bit of epoxy (or similar) on the four corners where the top and bottom cover meet.

Put back on car, leave the bottom screw off if you want, adjust to specs, :D