Ultimate Subaru Message Board

welded rear diff onroad (I know we've all talked about this over and over)

Just wanted to bring up this subject along for your opinions.

Wanting to know what you think about driving a Subaru in FWD with the rear diff welded and all driveshafts in place. Things like tyre wear, breaking driveline stuff and handling concern me.

Tell me your thoughts. :drunk:

Thanks

People will just look at you funny as you pull around in the gas station, But I have never had any problems on the road with mine. Only in the snow, you have to kinda watch your self because the rear will kinda want to come around on ya if you are in four wheel drive, and in my brat in the snow it sorta wants to drive straight. Other than that Its all good!!

Jeff

Depends on the size tires you run. I have broken axles with 28's on dry pavement. The bigger the tire, the more leverage and grip it has. 2,500 lbs of car can put enough load on the DOJ cups to blow them in half if you have enough leverage and grip.

Stock size tires shouldn't break anything - will just be annoying.

GD

Ok.. Well I'd be looking at 26" Wrangler TG's (ATxMT tread) or smaller, but I don't think I'll find a tyre for 14" rim smaller then 26".

Thinking about this for a cheap s***box EA81 Coupe with a 5sp and my EA81dc

I just don't want to have to put the axle in. As I want to be able to rock up somewhere and offroad, hoping to surpise people.

i just welded my diff im running 29's if im in 4wd it drives good when i put it in 2wd it makes lots of noise and it dosent turn well. its backwards to me i would of thought it drive better in 2wd, but it dosent

dennis