Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no start no dash lights

Ok so im swaping the weber yesterday and I pulled the old weber of and put a different weber back on

In the prosess I tried to hook up the new electric choke to a positive wire

I chose the one that had power to the old stock carb old emissions stuff(three plug with blue and white wires) after that I heard a spark and no dash lights at all no guages no nothing

shell crank all day but does not fire also if I start my other brat the fuel relay thingy on the fire wall next to the hood latch doesnot not click but when I turn over the brat in question it clicks twice

then i pulled the one out of the nonrunning brat and switched them they did the same thing the good brat started on the other just turns so I think the two might be un relaited but it does not hurt to ask

I have checked all fuses and fuseable links all good the fuse terminal that is on the bottom right side of the box is a 5a and its dead the fuse is good just no power to the fuse it self this is new. I have fuel I can hear the pump running

Ive look at many other post about this but nothing fit my symptoms

just a seems like a bunch of arguments and people getting off topic

thanks in advance Im gonna go back out and tinker some more

LT

It would be very helpful to have something to test for voltage with to help you find this trouble. Hopefully you have a test light probe or meter to test things with. Since the dash lights and gauges aren't working I suspect that you have a bad fusible link causing this trouble. I will try to check some data on this.

The only other fuse that I can think of is one under the dash by the steering colume in a in-line white plastic holder.

Ive looked for this but still have not been able to find it

it has some hacking under there it also has two ecus of course this is not stock

all the duct tape wraped around it gave that away

can u say conduction

thanks ill keep an eye out

It would be very helpful to have something to test for voltage with to help you find this trouble. Hopefully you have a test light probe or meter to test things with. Since the dash lights and gauges aren't working I suspect that you have a bad fusible link causing this trouble. I will try to check some data on this.

I have a test light so no propblem there thats what ive been using so far

and meter

I changed out all of the fuseable links and cleaned the terminals

I checked all of the easy stuff all thats left to find is turbones suggestion

and the ignightor cause i have fuel but no spark

Great, you have a test light. No spark. Just to make sure you are on the right track, have you checked for power getting to the positive side and the minus side of the ignition coil with the ignition ON?

no power to either side of coil

seems that this whole section is dead

the weird thing was it has to do with the three plug connector that plugs in to the hitachi its the three plug thats with the temp unit wire and the oil pressure wire in that clump I plugged my electric cock wire in and it sparked back then she died that wire in question still has power as we speak with key off

Hmmm, 2 ECU's.

So, exactly what are we working on here? :confused:

Might need to trace back the wiring for the elec choke and figure out what went pop.

yea shes custom:rolleyes: its my 82 brat with the 84 front end and the exstended cab:headbang:

this is the one that came from svengoli seven and was well used buy other board members

before he got it

So no power to the coil. Standby, let me check some data I have that may cover this.

Well I don't have data for the Brat but this may be close enough. The info for a Loyale of that era shows fuse 12 provides power to the coil. Have you checked all the fuses in the dash fuse panel for a problem using your tester? I think you stated that you did that already.

Well I don't have data for the Brat but this may be close enough. The info for a Loyale of that era shows fuse 12 provides power to the coil. Have you checked all the fuses in the dash fuse panel for a problem using your tester? I think you stated that you did that already.

Seriously - just start over.

Get an unhacked wireing harness and start from scratch. Sounds like a serious mess - the amount of time you'll spend troubleshooting it now, and later on when another issue crops up will be far longer than swapping the whole harness.

GD

it has not been bad till after I plugged in the choke on the weber

that will be the answer after I spend a little time searching

Ill just rewire with new good stuff I just wana figure it out so that I have the knowledge for the next subaru

Ya know Im not the type to waist lots of time once I peak its over start rippn

Yea I tested all of the fuses all are working other than the 5a charge fuse the fuse is good the whole terminal is dead

I switched out the alternator (Ihad a spare) still nothing

You stated the alternator circuit isn't working also. This points to a common failure point of one of the red fusible links. If the links have been tested for voltage on both sides under load then there may be a failed wire connection underneath the links. You should have noticed a failure of voltage getting to some of the fuses in the fuse panel though if that is the case. If you have power on all the fuses in the fuse panel then the trouble would seem to be in the wire connection between what ever fuse ties to the coil and the coil.

What color is the wire going to the plus side of the coil? You might try looking for the same color going to the fuse panel. My data shows a blk/wht wire between the two points.

the color is yellow

I dont see the same color in the fuse panel

so all of the emissions stuff that had power are all dead @ the engine

i used one of them for my fuel pump before

You stated the alternator circuit isn't working also. This points to a common failure point of one of the red fusible links. If the links have been tested for voltage on both sides under load then there may be a failed wire connection underneath the links. You should have noticed a failure of voltage getting to some of the fuses in the fuse panel though if that is the case. If you have power on all the fuses in the fuse panel then the trouble would seem to be in the wire connection between what ever fuse ties to the coil and the coil.

I do remember something about this must have been in the cob webs

ill check

wait if I have power on both sides of the fuseable link then its not at that point right

its trace time for the coil to coil ill let ya know what I come up with

If you have power getting to all the fuses in the fuse panel then it would seem the connection to the coil is at fault. The problem to the alternator is still in question then as I think it is on a different leg from the fuse panel.

so I took the cluster out today to trace wires I isolated the coil power wire thay were melted together in the middle of the harness

so I think I found the problem I just put a new harness in as mentioned befor seemed easer than wondering what will go wrong next

Thanks to all for the help:headbang:

It sounds like something may not be protected with a fuse correctly. I would make sure that the circuit to the coil has a fuse tied to it and is the proper size. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like something may not be protected with a fuse correctly. I would make sure that the circuit to the coil has a fuse tied to it and is the proper size. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the feedback.

Yea I replaced everything including the fuse box

as far as protected before there is no way I could not even find the coil fuse or the head light relay I went from 4 to 2 and well long story

but I surprised that the whole brat did not burst into a blue green flame going down the road

thanks to you:headbang: