Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it possible to tow my 90 legacy with a tow bar for 800 miles w/o damage to the tranny? it's a 5 spd... or will i need to remove the drive shaft and axels?

If you mean a tow BAR on the front of the car, leaving all four wheels on the ground, then you will be fine.

If you mean a Tow DOLLY, which puts the front wheels off the ground, and only the rears roll, then NO. Definately not.

Either tow it flat with all 4 on the ground(manual trans only) or flatbed it. IF you REALLY need to put it on a dolly, you must disconnect the center driveline like mentioned.

also since it is a 90....is it a FWD or AWD.....As years go by I have had people try to tell me I can't tow my 91 Legacy FWD with the front off the ground...whic would be correst if it was an AWD.....too used to assuming ALL subes are AWD.....

on the dash it says Full time FWD

Is that a typo?....Mine says Full Time AWD.

I doubt that the FWD cars got a sticker.

Yes, all 4 wheels on the ground is OK w/the 5 spd...no towing an Automatic w/ANY wheels on the ground.

Good luck!

Went and double checked and it says Full time 4WD

so this means all 4 wheels off the ground when towed or all 4 wheels on the gorund (in neutral) when towed.your choice. if your tow vehicle is big enough, a car carrier is easiest, assuming you can drive your subaru up on it.