Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Side of car keyed

Some scumbag put a long, wavy, deep key scratch on the drivers side of my white gl-3 door yesterday at the Barbur Transit Station parking lot; also left a door paint scrape on the passenger side.

No security camera coverage in the lot, but I will be looking for

a grey car with white paint scrapes on a drivers door at a certain height...

What's the best way to handle the scratch?

Some scumbag put a long, wavy, deep key scratch on the drivers side of my white gl-3 door yesterday at the Barbur Transit Station parking lot; also left a door paint scrape on the passenger side.

No security camera coverage in the lot, but I will be looking for

a grey car with white paint scrapes on a drivers door at a certain height...

What's the best way to handle the scratch?

as a general rule, if you can feel it with your fingernail as you drag it across the scratch, it's not buff-outable :-\

as deep as it sounds from you description, the only fix (to make it look like it never happened) is going to be repainting the panels where the scratch is deep enough to feel. :dead:

if you're just wanting to make it not so obnoxiously obvious, then the newest type of those little touch up paint tubes you can get at any car parts store have basically a large ball point pen in them. instead of dragging the brush down the scratch and getting un-even sloppy coverage, you just run the "pen" down the scratch and it leaves a pretty consistent trail of paint, only where you've "written" . . . or find somebody who's really good with an airbrush

if it's clear thru to the metal, you'll want to do something (anything) about it asap, as those turn into nasty rust stripes in no time . . .

the good news is that white is just about the easiest color to work with :headbang:

chris

• 1 year later...

if it is deep i would sand it down and get some primer asap just to stop the rust setting in. after that you can try filling and then painting yourself. you can now get guns which attach to arosol cans so you don need a compressor. If you have time it can be quite rewarding, however you have to get the weather right if you are doing it outside.