Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, yesterday the Check Engline light came on in my '95 LSi wagon. 229,000 miles and that's the first light. I think that's pretty impressive to go 13 years and that many miles w/o ever tripping the check engine light. I haven't taken it somewhere to have it plugged up yet...

Well, yesterday the Check Engline light came on in my '95 LSi wagon. 229,000 miles and that's the first light. I think that's pretty impressive to go 13 years and that many miles w/o ever tripping the check engine light. I haven't taken it somewhere to have it plugged up yet...

Which confirms that number 13 really brings bad luck :-p . Maybe the ECU is supertitious.

Well, the nearest Subaru dealership is an hour away and AutoZone can't read a pre-1996 vehicle, so my check engine code shall remain a mystery for the moment. I'm guessing o2 sensor, but we'll see...

This morning, the light was gone.

AutoZone can't read a pre-1996 vehicle

That's ridiculous. Can they read OBD-2 codes from other cars? The '95 Subaru plug-in should be in the dash underskirt near your left knee, just above the hood release. It's a little door that looks kinda' like an ashtray pull.

I've had a CEL twice in the last month and both times the car has started to run crappy. I will pull the code just for the hell of it but both times it went off when I got gas again....both times when it happened it was the day after I filled up at the same Shell station.

That's ridiculous. Can they read OBD-2 codes from other cars? The '95 Subaru plug-in should be in the dash underskirt near your left knee, just above the hood release. It's a little door that looks kinda' like an ashtray pull.

the access plug in is there on 95s but i think the pin configuration is different, standard plug/connection, but it uses differnt pins than on a 96 and later. if you have an adapter for the reader you can pull the codes. but my guess is that you can read the codes using the diagnostic connectors (green?) under the dash.

That's right. OBD-II wasn't mandated until the 1996 model year, so older models most likely have the older OBD system. There were some '95 models built to meet California air codes that incorporated OBD-II in '95. I believe those were limited to the 2.2L engine and Auto tranny though.

Hmmm, interesting johnc.

I use a standard Actron CP9135 "OBD II Autoscanner" to read codes and erase them--it functions perfectly on my '95 Legacy L and on our '97 Maxima.

Some on here claim there are non-OBD II '95s out there, but I've never seen one so I don't really know.

Hmmm, interesting johnc.

I use a standard Actron CP9135 "OBD II Autoscanner" to read codes and erase them--it functions perfectly on my '95 Legacy L and on our '97 Maxima.

Some on here claim there are non-OBD II '95s out there, but I've never seen one so I don't really know.

there is also the possibility that they just assume they can't read the codes because it's before 96. my son had the same problem with his 95 leg 2.2 a/t. went ot several places and no one could / would read them. ended up going to the dealer.

but i agree with you, it sounds like the new code readers will read almost anything.

So have him tell you the codes or go to a local auto parts store that reads them for free.

The check engine light has be on for at least 2 years in my 1992 Subaru

it has almost 200,000 miles.

A mechanic told me not to worry about it. But I do worry about it.