Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New tires :) You helped last time - help me again

Buy a second set of rims and drive summer tires for 8 months of the year and winter tires during the winter. Hankook is the way to go: there K106 is a great summer tire which works well in the rain. And their Winter i-Pike is an excellent winter tire. Both are very reasonably priced. Both Tirerack and Discount Tire sell these online.

Yokohama has sporty all-seasons. Look at the entry level pure sport range.

They don't quite last as long as your regular stock all-season hockey pucks, but drive much better. New silica compounds are good on ice!

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+S.4.&tirePageLocQty=:headbang:

Combine that with almost any snow tires on plain steel rims for when it is cold. Your golden!

Remember steel will slide on concrete while aluminum will bind, ( ripping out your suspension ) .

Just the simple act of changing your rims in the winter to steel will ultimately save you money when you are much more likely to curb your vehicle.

Also snow tires cost no more money as they can last as long as your sumer tires if you get them off at the right time in the spring.

I found this weird eastern european brand of snows called Sava Eskimo.

I give them an extremely positive review.

Lots going for them and they cost half the price of the supposed premium.

For years I wanted to go back to the XZ or XZX or whatever old Michelins they used to sell in the 70s and 80s. I had them on an old VW bug that got totalled, and a Fiat. Now they were tires!

I got my 4 used (they were almost brand new) Michelin Hydroedges off ebay a while back (2007) at 177 dollars shipped.

I swear by these tires. Look up the reviews on Tirerack.com.

Someone's selling them now on ebay in my Legacy's size for 96.00 per with free shipping.

I used to have the Michelin X-ones (even for my jeep cherokee, again from ebay, and then for this Legacy, again, ebay used) and they were absolutely great. 80000 mile warranty on those, 90 on the Hydroedges I believe.

Most of the tires out there nowadays are just imitations of what used to be.

Even the lower brand Michelins, like those sold at Sears, etc.

Take my word for it--you wouldn't be disappointed. Especially when they have like 50000 miles on them (if balanced, roatated correctly etc) and still hardly show wear.

Even my brother came over the other day, and I've had these on the car now for like 8-9 months, and he commented how they haven't worn at all!

:)

You really don't realize how solid and heavy a real tire is until you see and lift one of these. And the compound of the tire allows great handling and long wear. I don't know how they do it.