Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Same But Different

I have an 86 gl hatchback 4spd 4 wd i needed new pads on the front brakes so i ordered for them for the year of my car, well when i went to put them on i noticed they were not what was on my car, i have 83 hatchbacks and looked at those and they are the same pads as on my 86 but the pads i ordered were different so i was like what the heck, so i had the parts to make it an 86 front disc brakes (which i believe they should have been) and put them all together put my spoked rim on and the brake caliper and the rim were hitting. so i assume that is the reason the owner before me put the 83 disc brakes on my car to just fit those rims,so i put it back how i found them, but why? my question is i have 2, 86 year and newer rims and 4 im guessing :confused: 83 rims and older, which the 83 rims are on my car now, why is there a difference? or what year of rims are on my car that will not fit the 86 disc brakes?

just wondering

thanks

SS

First of all, when you bought brake pads for a 86, they gave you pads for a EA82, not EA81. Next time order brake pads for a 84 or earlier.

Second, you are using wheels that will only work on 84 and earlier calipers. If you use these wheels, you will need to grind down the caliper so they dont rub.

First of all, when you bought brake pads for a 86, they gave you pads for a EA82, not EA81. Next time order brake pads for a 84 or earlier.

Second, you are using wheels that will only work on 84 and earlier calipers. If you use these wheels, you will need to grind down the caliper so they dont rub.

yeah, order for an earlier year, or maybe their computer is smart enough to know brat/hatchback... but don't count on it...

you say you have the spoke wheels, and it sounds like you have the ea81 spoke wheels... those don't have as much of a curve as the ea82 spoke wheels and as Turbone says will hit on the newer calipers unless you grind the calipers, or get some ea82 spoke wheels...

--Spiffy

The prev. owner did not change to 1983 Brakes. They are the original brakes for your hatchback.

EA81 share the same brakes.

EA82 share the same brakes.

EA81 rims do not fit EA82 brake calipers (some do, but most do not).

EA81 = 1980 to 1984

EA82 = 1985 to 1991

Hatchbacks and Brats manufactured in 1985 and 1986 still have EA81 brakes, so when you go into a parts store and ask for parts... you can expect to get the wrong parts. You should just assume you are buying parts for your '83... cause everything on the '83 will fit your '86.

-Brian

I have an 86 gl hatchback 4spd 4wd. I needed new pads on the front brakes so I ordered them for the year of my car. When I went to put them on I noticed they were not the same as what was on my car. I have 83 hatchbacks and looked at those and they are the same pads as on my 86 but the pads I ordered were different.

I was like, "What the heck?" I had the parts to make them 86 front disc brakes (which I believe they should have been) and put them all together. I put my spoked rim on and the brake caliper and the rim were hitting. I assume that is the reason the owner before me put the 83 disc brakes on my car to just fit those rims, so I put it back how I found them, but why?

My question is I have two 86 year and newer rims and 4 (I'm guessing :confused:) 83 rims and older, and the 83 rims are on my car now. Why is there a difference? What type of rims are on my car that will not fit the 86 disc brakes?

Just wondering,

Thanks

SS

Grammar Nazi attack.