Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I tried the search and faq's and found nothing on this.

My wifes 06 legacy has an abs light issue, sorta. It lights like normal upon engine start, then goes out like normal. She then drives to wherever and puts it in park, leaving engine running. (Like the post office) Then when she puts it back in drive, the ABS light comes on and will stay on for the remainder of the drive. Car has 23k and no other problems as of yet. (Hoping to keep it that way for a good long while) Anybody ever hear of this problem before? Would it throw a code?

Thanks.

Flat4Fan

warranty?

i had ABS issues and found everything i needed here, including links to Subaru's ENDWRENCH website with detailed instructions on pulling the codes myself. just jumper a wire in a harness plug that's right above the gas pedal and the ABS light blinks the code to you. it was very easy to do. mine ended up being a front ABS sensor, i replaced it and all was well.

not sure the 2006 models are the same, haven't had to do one of those yet (shouldn't have to!??!?!?! is probably what you're thinking too!!!)

my suspicion is that the tone ring or sensor are dirty or fouled. the sensors are magnets, if they some how come into contact with metal they will attract all of it and i imagine that miffs them up. it may be as simple as being dirty.

But - being a new car you need to read the codes, either yourself or have the dealer do it. new cars aren't subject to typical wear&tear stuff so they're causes tend to differ from older models.

Another possibility is low voltage so maybe a faulty battery or alternator. Because when you put it in D the rpm's have a small drop which means the alternator is not regenerating as much voltage. Many possibilities I guess...