Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap

I dont believe it will fit, I think its to wide, unless you cut and weld a section above the crossmember. That would be alot of work for a small gain, 69hp to 81hp I think the ea82 has. I think an ej22 is actually narrower then an ea82 and would give about 40hp more than the 82 if you want to do a total swap anyway.

You have to cut and box in the frame rails where the overhead cams are located to make it fit.

It's a decent gain - 90 HP for the SPFI EA82 with either the SPFI or a Weber vs. the 63 HP of the EA71. 95 HP for the MPFI EA82's, and 115 HP for the EA82T's.

But as pointed out - an EJ22 would fit better and have a ton more power (130 HP). More diffiicult to swap wireing wise, and if you want a newer tranny there's nothing for it but a lot of work - the tunnel will not easily accept anything newer without some fab work or a lift.

GD

ha ha - nice user name for a nor-easter.

would he have the option of converting an EJ22 to carb/distributor and running that to avoid the wiring issues? if he can swap an engine he can probably do that right? i've seen people do those things to an EJ22. i can't imagine wanting a carb but hey an EJ22 is a nice freaking engine to have. i suppose he can search here for that, i've seen pictures but have no idea how complex that is.

ha ha - nice user name for a nor-easter.

would he have the option of converting an EJ22 to carb/distributor and running that to avoid the wiring issues? if he can swap an engine he can probably do that right? i've seen people do those things to an EJ22. i can't imagine wanting a carb but hey an EJ22 is a nice freaking engine to have. i suppose he can search here for that, i've seen pictures but have no idea how complex that is.

Thanxs for the replies. I have 2 EA82 motors, finding an EA71, or EA81 is very difficult. Finding the old loyale engines stuff 1985-1992(ea82) is cheap and plentiful, that is why I want to go with that swap. When you say EJ22 motor I assume you are referring to Legacy (I don't know the production years) So if I found an donor legacy that would be an easier swap?

I want to use the car as a daily driver and upgrade it to a motor that I can get parts for easily(the extra horsepower would be a plus also). Thanxs for the help.

sounds like you're on the right track, the EA82 may be the best fit for you.

the EJ swap is not "easy" but it's not the end of the world either.

no US EJ engines were every carbed so to install one you'd have to do a bunch of wiring work OR the easier route might be to convert it to carb. i know there are guys doing carb and distributor conversions, if that's something you feel like doing.

you would also need an adapter plate since the EJ engine does not bolt up to any EA series transmissions. or you'd have to also install the entire lump - EJ engine and trans both.

sounds like more than you're wanting to spend/get into. but if you keep your eyes out and you're in a good soob area you can find a subaru with issues for very cheap. wrecked, needing lots of work (exhaust, bearings, axles)....etc.

swap out the transmission from the top starter to the side starter bellhousing. this will let you use ea81 and ea82 engines, and also an ej to ea bellhousing adapter.

I have a 5speed from a 91 Loyale, will this transmission fit in the stock mounts? Its from a 2 wheel drive wagon. The 79 is a 4wheel drive model.

Other than cut/box the frame to make it wider, is there any other mods needed to fit an ea82, can I use the stock engine mounts in the 1979?

Thanxs for the advice.