Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I use one of those diy "one man brake bleeder kits." I received mine as a Christmas gift a few years back, but I can tell that the cost is low. Prolly available at any car parts store. It does a good job of collecting dirty brake fluid, without letting air enter the caliper. I highly recommend the kit.

Pressure bleeders work great. Search the web, you can find instructions to make one or buy one for about $100.00. It's then a one person job. If you get a vaccum pump you can also suck all the old fluid out of the MC and start with fresh.

thanks for teh replies! ill look into that.

any suggestions on the kind of brake pads i should get? theres so many differnt options... some suggestions from some people that have previously changed their pads woudl be nice. thanks!

OEM pads stop very well and seem to last a long time, I went with Carquest organic pads this time as my friend runs the store. These pads stop extremely well, I did install new rotors and calipers so I am sure that helps but I am very happy with them.

some suggestions from some people that have previously changed their pads woudl be nice. thanks!

I use the standard pads sold by Autozone. I am sure that they are not the best, but they stop my Subie just fine. The pads do create a lot of black dust that collects on the road wheels, but I don't care. The nice thing is, the pads carry a lifetime guarantee, so when they wear out, I take the worn out pads back to AZ, and exchange them for new ones at no cost. Subie pads are super easy to change, so it is a good do it yourself project that I don't mind doing.

Are the lifetime guaranteed pads ceramic? How often do you go through pads? From what I have been told you want to stay away from ceramic pads.

hmm thats odd.. i woulda said the opposite... was there a reason behidn what you heard? ceramics are supposed to hold up well against heat especially when being heated constantly especialyl over a period of time...

Are the lifetime guaranteed pads ceramic? How often do you go through pads? From what I have been told you want to stay away from ceramic pads.

No, standard brake pads from Autozone are not ceramic. With normal use, the pads prolly last 40K miles. When worn out, I return the pads for new ones under their lifetime warranty. Just be sure to save the sales slip, and I keep the box the pads came in. Returning worn out pads in the original box assures an easy return, plus it is easy to compare part stock numbers on new box verses old box to make sure you are getting the right size pads.

thanks for teh replies! ill look into that.

any suggestions on the kind of brake pads i should get? theres so many differnt options... some suggestions from some people that have previously changed their pads woudl be nice. thanks!

I just changed mine and used NAPA Adaptive One pads with premium rotors. They work great and have no fade that I have found. Very quiet, and low dust. (I auto x once a month). I used Motul brake fluid as well. I have had them for almost 3 months with 2 races on them. Best pad IMO for everyday use. They are a ceramic inner, and the outer is a blend. Very odd shaped as well.

Be careful installing those pads though, they are inner and outter spacific. I think they were like $70 a set.

When I was a mechanic we used a lot of pads, and they truely are a get what you pay for item. I would see the autozone duralast and NAPA safety stop pads getting replaced about 2x a year, the nicer (ceramix, adaptive one),NAPA pads and OEM pads were by far the nicest pads to work with.

I would rec changing the slide pins, and clips as well. And always either change or machine your rotors.