Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT vs XT6?

SPR

ive never really stepped into the world of these old subarus. ive always been an EJ guy. and since ive mastered them i wanna take a step back a litlte bit and do a loyale project.

part of it wil be converting to a 5lug. but i am curious, is there a real different between the xt and xt6? atleast the parts i need for the swap? everyone keeps saying xt6 which is pointing me in the direction the xt parts wont work, which sucks cuz there is a xt turbo i can pick up for as little as nothing right now. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

regular XTs and XT turbos are basically all EA82, which means the suspension and hubs are all EA82 and 4 x 140 mm bolt pattern. XT6 is like a precursor to the Legacy stuff, and is all 5 x 100 mm bolt pattern. Its also the easiest way to get 5 lug rear discs on EA82 suspension, or any EA series for that matter.

figured that was the case. had a ichy feeling that 6cyl motor ment new suspensoin to support it.

so if its similar to the legacys, how come legacy parts dont seem to work? has anyone ventured into that?

There is a really nice lookin XT6 for sale near The Bush, its Maroon. didnt see a price and didnt write down the phone number :banghead:

sounds like a nice price tag too haha. the one i found was a beater. i dont think it even ran, but woulda been perfect for those rear parts i need. but ill just find em on ebay or something and use the gc8 stuff in the front since its much easier to find haha

It comes down to this:

XT6's were lucky to get the 5 bolt hub pattern. The rest of the suspension is nearly identical to the normal ea82's in how it functions. The XT6 parts bridge the gap between EA and EJ.

Really, the only XT6 pieces you absolutely need are the rear hubs. (and thats basically the entire conversion in the rear).

The fronts can be done with reaming your balljoints out for bigger EJ style ones, using EJ front knuckles, and struts.

PS. LGT coilovers work on these cars. Thats what suberdave has on his wagon. LGT Tein EDFc's. Me, I'm saving up for some used Megans!

It comes down to this:

XT6's were lucky to get the 5 bolt hub pattern. The rest of the suspension is nearly identical to the normal ea82's in how it functions. The XT6 parts bridge the gap between EA and EJ.

Really, the only XT6 pieces you absolutely need are the rear hubs. (and thats basically the entire conversion in the rear).

The fronts can be done with reaming your balljoints out for bigger EJ style ones, using EJ front knuckles, and struts.

PS. LGT coilovers work on these cars. Thats what suberdave has on his wagon. LGT Tein EDFc's. Me, I'm saving up for some used Megans!

ive got no problems with machining parts. and i plan on using as many gc8 parts as i possibly can to keep the cost down and the parts easy to find. I might take a step out and see how hard it would be to redo the entire rear end with out out of a wrx or something. since ill be using a wrx rear diff and axles and everything else. might step into control arms, brakes and everything else as well. but we will see when the time comes. thanks for filling in my blank spots all.

Apperently the rear sub assembly of the later vehicles in nothing close to the EA82 rear assembly. The diff however will bolt into the stock location, it should be basically the same as all the diffs in all the other subes as far as size and shape, but with innie axle stubs instead of outies i believe (someone who knows more will correct me here) but it should bolt right in to where the old r 160 comes out. then just mix and match axle parts and springs and brakes.

Apperently the rear sub assembly of the later vehicles in nothing close to the EA82 rear assembly. The diff however will bolt into the stock location, it should be basically the same as all the diffs in all the other subes as far as size and shape, but with innie axle stubs instead of outies i believe (someone who knows more will correct me here) but it should bolt right in to where the old r 160 comes out. then just mix and match axle parts and springs and brakes.

intersting. i really need to hurry and find my shell so i can get it on the lift and check it out lol. Thanks for the info. cant wait to tear into this sucker and figure something out.

tons of info on this already here - you can do a search on 5 lug swaps. the search function is lame - it doesn't allow you to search on 3 letter words so you probably got hosed on "lug" try *lug or lug*....or just "swap" without lug and maybe you can ignore all the engine swap stuff. so of course that means you can't use "XT" or "XT6" or "EJ" or any number of other search terms either.

the EJ stuff is completely different in the rear.

go have a peak - then look at the rear hubs of any EA vehicle you see around - that XT Turbo maybe?. if you've mastered the EJ's you'll see immediately that the configurations are entirely different. not only different mounting points but an entirely different configuration. if you're having trouble visualizing - a poor analogy would be like converting your EJ rears to EJ front suspension. but of course it's possible with enough time or money.

tons of info on this already here - you can do a search on 5 lug swaps. the search function is lame - it doesn't allow you to search on 3 letter words so you probably got hosed on "lug" try *lug or lug*....or just "swap" without lug and maybe you can ignore all the engine swap stuff. so of course that means you can't use "XT" or "XT6" or "EJ" or any number of other search terms either.

the EJ stuff is completely different in the rear.

go have a peak - then look at the rear hubs of any EA vehicle you see around - that XT Turbo maybe?. if you've mastered the EJ's you'll see immediately that the configurations are entirely different. not only different mounting points but an entirely different configuration. if you're having trouble visualizing - a poor analogy would be like converting your EJ rears to EJ front suspension. but of course it's possible with enough time or money.

well ill probably stick to what someone much greater than me has alread done then since it seems to be working. i hate hunting hard to find parts. ive had enough of that with my 7 other project cars. But i guess im use to it, so its not a big deal i suppose. I never seem to get anywhere with search features, but ill do some more digging and see what pops up. im pretty sure i got it covered already, but more info never hurts.

do a search on a project done by mixthetoo. He was putting the entire driveline including rear subassembly from a OBS into a BRAT.

I am not sure if he ever got the project done. It was definately a huge undertaking.

Like people said, the rear wheels are the parts that are completely different.

Renaissanceman was working on making 4X140-5x100 and 5x114 adapters not sure of whatever became of the project. I was talking to 4X4welder about possibly making the same adapters. do a search to see the two threads.

Putting the EJ rear subassembly into an EA82 car would be difficult but not impossible. The mounting surfaces for the EA82 torsion bar rear suspension are flat so I would be possible to first make a subframe that bolts to the stock unibody locations and then bolt the EJ subassembly to the subframe. The subframe could also serve as lift blocks so that the EJ wheels will fit nicer in the wheel wells.

Anyways, document what you do and take measurements. i would be interested in the final outcome b/c I would like to do this to the RX.

BW

in all honestly on this project im going to be pretty lazy and not wanting to put a bunch of money into it. ive already gotta put 10k into my camaro. so this one is gonna be on a tight budget. So i wont go to fancy, Ill just stick with searching for xt6 parts and doing what works.

time for research. if you want to build an EA car. you need to know them inside and out. the answers to almost all your questions are here. most of them in the repair manual (USRM link at the top of the page).

read/study/worship my EA2EJ guide, I've covered in depth much of what you're talking about here, and the 5-lug stuff has been discussed at great length. I've documented everything I've done in great detail right here. so search for posts by me for that stuff. also check out the sticky at the top of this section with a list of all the guys around who have done major swaps, and what they've done, and you can look for their stuff too.

don't worry, you've yet to ask a new question.