Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My passenger front side are going bad , CLICK CLICK CLICK. But i'm not sure if i should go ahead and reaplace the driverside as well or not? If I don't adress this problem what's the final outcome of a completely failed constant velocity shaft? Just curious:banana:

Well you can get pretty bad vibration to where the car may be undriveable. The shaft may strip, and then be there just for decoration.

You can replace just one, no need to do both sides, unless the other side has dry rot or cracked boots.

Don't go cheap on the exles, you will end up with a driveline vibfation at idle.

go to the ccr engines website and get the axles either there, or from subaru.

nipper

ironic you mention the idle vibrations, as i've had it pretty badly this year compared to the past. I had no idea it was cv related.

Its only CV related if you get cheap axles. I think the problem is the axles being too tight dimensionally. If you have had a vibration all along, i would look at things like vacume leaks, tune up, or bad motor mounts.

nipper

approx 118k owned for 2years now. it has a slow leak that sometimes (usually on warmer days) can be noticed by the smell inside the cab. i've always suspected rear main seals but have been told many times on this board that it's not likely. the shaking isn't terribly violent more-so than annoying as its weird at stop lights. As far as it lasting like this i was curious if it was ok to keep driving for just another day as me and pops are gonna swap the cv joint as well as replace the breakpads (squeeeeeeeeek).

to replace both.

Get dirty one time and be done with it.

Or get dirty once. get dirty another day when you have to replace the other. This wil depend on what brand axles you use? I recommend Subaru brand or MWE rebuilder. you can find links for mwe axles here somewhere.

I replaced both my fronts with MWE cause I wanted to know both were done at same time piece of mind.

went in like a dream, most difficult part was getting that pin on the transmission side out

love changing the brake pads, so simple compared to my last car where they mounted to the caliper rather than the subaru clipping them on the rotor and having the caliper swing over the top of them.

i did just the one. if the other one goes it'll be fun knowing that i can do it alone if need be :headbang: