Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio does not come on - sometimes...

I have a 99 Subaru Outback wagon. Receintly I have started having an issue where I start the car, and the radio never comes on. It does not happen very often and shutting the car off and back on seems to fix the problem.

I was not worried about it until my wife noticed that the AC did not seem to work when this happens. I also just got a check engine light that gave the error code "P0480 - Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit".

I think they are all related. I'm guessing that it is a failing relay but I don't know that for sure. Anybody have any thoughts on this or where the relay might be so I can try banging on it if the radio fails again?

Thanks - Bill

I Haven`t had that Problem in my Subies, but I Fixed Same Problem in a Friend`s Ford Ranger `95 (Here Sold Rebagged as Mazda B2300) it was the Ignition Key`s Switch.

That Switch was loose, not too Much, but Enough to not let the inside`s Current Bypass parts Engage Properly... it took several Hours to find that.

It Might Doesn`t Apply to your Subie`s... but you Said that "shutting the car off and back on seems to fix the problem" ... and that makes me think that`s might be the Switch`s Fault.

Good Luck! :burnout:

I agree, it sounds like the ignition switch... I have this problem in my forester, and it's a pretty common problem...

I can jiggle the key back and forward to get the radio, compass, wipers, etc to work again... I don't have to turn it all the way off and start it again...

eventually I'll have to replace it... but I don't want to have a different key...

--Spiffy

The fan relay is a very likely suspect if that is the only problem. Since there seem to be other things having trouble at the same time then it may be the ignition switch. The switch section is seperate from the lock so you shouldn't need to have a different key if that is the problem. There may also be a wire connection problem causing this to happen. I would check the ignition switch area for signs of heat damage to the wiring or switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to report back in. I had a mechanic I trust check out the P0480 error code (see original post). He went through the suggested procedure for debugging the error code and could not find any problems. He also could not reproduce the ignition switch problem (radio not comming on) so did not want to replace the switch.

The problem I'm having now is that the P0480 code keeps comming up. My car fails inspection because they will not pass it with the check engine light on and resetting it resets the emissions. By the time the emissions codes are ready the check engine light is back on! I'm afraid if I take the car to the dealer all they will be able to do is start swapping components until the problem goes away and that could get expensive!

I think it makes sense to replace the ignition switch as it appears something is wrong there, but if that does not fix the P0480 code I'm not sure where to start. I really don't want to have to start randomly changing components, but that may be the only way to fix this since the system appears to be fine.

Any thoughts?

Bill

There is a red/yellow wire that comes from the ignition switch to the sub fan relay on pin 4. You could tie a small 12 volt light to some wires and connect the light to that connection and ground. The should turn on with the ignition switch but if it doesn't then you have pinned down the ignition switch as the problem. You could also just replace the switch and hope that you got it. I would give it a good chance as being the trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to recreate both issues (radio not coming on and check engine light) by gently returning the key to the "ON" position after cranking. I found that the key could stop in a position between "START" and "ON". In this no-mans-land the radio would be off even though the car was running. I also got the check engine light to come on once by moving the key from this position to the "ON" position while the car was running.

Anyway, I replaced the ignition switch (for $400) and all seems well. The car has finally passed inspection, and has not had either problem for the last couple hundred miles.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Dirty Valentine