Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The most Ridiculous Turn signals/hazards problem

The hazards button on my 97 legacy L is broken - It feels like there is something sticky in the button.

When you force the button down the hazards come on.

when you push it to turn off, the button sort of gets stuck down... so after putting somethign betweent he crack and pulling the button up a bit.. they turn off.

everytime we activate the hazards button, the turn signals stop working.

the turn signals will stay broken for a few days. there will be no light inside the car or outside the car and there is no flasher sound..

my idea is that perhaps the hazards button is still partially down... enough to keep the hazards from coming on but also enough for the car to think the hazards are on so that the blinkers don't work.

any help would be appreciated. Sticking my arm out hte window at every intersection isnt the most convenient.

Thanks in advance!!!

if i had this situation happen to me i would find the closest junkyard to just pick up a new hazard light switch(it sounds like something sticky like juice got inside of there and maybe messed with the contacts or something)anyways they are only a few bucks at a junkyard and even if it doesnt fix the problem your switch wont be sticking anymore and you wont have to pry it back out.....just my suggestion.....:)

Thanks for all the responses.

the car was parked in napa valley today and it was really hot out. when we had gotten back to the car. the blinkers were working again and the button had looked like it popped up a bit. so i guess it was just stuck in between

I had planned on changing the switch too. but now that someones posted about the recall, ill call a dealership in the morning.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for all the responses.

the car was parked in napa valley today and it was really hot out. when we had gotten back to the car. the blinkers were working again and the button had looked like it popped up a bit. so i guess it was just stuck in between

I had planned on changing the switch too. but now that someones posted about the recall, ill call a dealership in the morning.

Thanks a lot!

Shoot it with electronics cleaner. Can't hurt, might fix.

i just called subaru of downtown oakland...

and gave em the last 8 of the vin.. and they said the hazards switch isnt listed as on recall...

they said there was a recall on the throttle body... anyone know what thats about?

i just went to the dealership.. the other recalls were already done on the car says the subaru database.

they said my car wasnt affected based on the vin number. and they wouldnt fix it. i bought the switch for 20 bucks. i didnt feel like dealing with them anymore. its an easy fix. problem solved.

thanks for all the help