Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If its the type that gets poured into the tank don't bother. A shop will hook cleaner right to the fuel rail and run the engine on just cleaner using a prescribed amount of cleaner. That's worth it.

Normally I would agree but I just had excellent results with Techron Injector Cleaner in the gas tank of my Loyale. It cured a bad off-idle bog I've had since I got the car a couple months ago.

A fuel rail cleaner is certainly better, but a top brand cleaner like Techron in the tank is certainly worth a shot, imo.

Normally I would agree but I just had excellent results with Techron Injector Cleaner in the gas tank of my Loyale. It cured a bad off-idle bog I've had since I got the car a couple months ago.

A fuel rail cleaner is certainly better, but a top brand cleaner like Techron in the tank is certainly worth a shot, imo.

Agree with above, I have used Chevron Techron for many years with excellent results. Also, TL-3 available at Auto Zone is good. Anything else sold with a price lower than $5.00/ container is pretty worthless. Don't add more to a tank of gas then recommended.

Some are good cleaners that don't also cause harm, some are good cleaners that do also cause harm, and most are nearly useless while maybe causing harm.

The ones I know for certain are good cleaners and don't cause harm are:

Chevron Techron,

Red Line SI-1 (can be a little aggressive, though; be careful),

Lube Control's FP-Plus,

Renewable Lube's Bio-Plus (pretty good),

I believe Amsoil's new formulation is also not harmful when mixed properly.

The ones that hook directly to the injection rail are usually good, though there are exceptions. The notion that the engine is running on nothing but cleaner is just silly, since good (and safe) cleaners won't run a gasoline engine. Anything that's running the engine entirely on 'cleaner' is really running it on basically a fuel/cleaner mix. Still might work well, but if there's more cleaner in the mix (and if the engine is running on that mix) than what you'd get with one of the above when mixed according to directions, you'd better change the oil immediately after the cleaning to prevent damage.

The ones that hook directly to the injection rail are usually good, though there are exceptions. The notion that the engine is running on nothing but cleaner is just silly, since good (and safe) cleaners won't run a gasoline engine. Anything that's running the engine entirely on 'cleaner' is really running it on basically a fuel/cleaner mix. Still might work well, but if there's more cleaner in the mix (and if the engine is running on that mix) than what you'd get with one of the above when mixed according to directions, you'd better change the oil immediately after the cleaning to prevent damage.

Since I don't want to sound silly I'll be more specfic. The motor is running on whatever is in the can(s) that say cleaner on them that are connected to the fuel rail AFTER disconnecting the fuel line. I don't know if the cans contain just cleaner but the motor is running on whats coming out of them.

how well do those work? worth it in 97 legacy with 145k?

Don't use them , most problems I had with my 1993 Impreza was with them. Very Bad !

Filter particles just solved , don't know the "Very Good" USA made chemicals , but I would refrain from all of them !

The system we used to use at the dealership when I worked there was the Wynns system.This particular system involved disconnecting the fuel supply and hooking a can of cleaner to the schrader valve,unplug the fuel pump fuse

and start the car.It would run for about 15 mins then die.the results were incredible and cured most customer complaints of sluggishness,poor idle and poor accelaration.I have run the Techron in my Jeep and was amazed at the performance diff,especially since we used to charge 89.99 for the fuel system cleaning at Chrysler.Whether or not this system will perform the same on Subies I can't tell you,to be honest of all the cars that came through that shop I never saw a Subie in for fuel problems.

The system we used to use at the dealership when I worked there was the Wynns system.This particular system involved disconnecting the fuel supply and hooking a can of cleaner to the schrader valve,unplug the fuel pump fuse

and start the car.It would run for about 15 mins then die.the results were incredible and cured most customer complaints of sluggishness,poor idle and poor accelaration.I have run the Techron in my Jeep and was amazed at the performance diff,especially since we used to charge 89.99 for the fuel system cleaning at Chrysler.Whether or not this system will perform the same on Subies I can't tell you,to be honest of all the cars that came through that shop I never saw a Subie in for fuel problems.

Bingo! That is the kind of system I was describing. It's always worked great I my soobs. All the soobs I buy are high mileage and this is one of the 1st things I have done to em. I've never done it more than once to any car. If the fuel filter is changed regular and the tank isn't run dry once is enough.

...The motor is running on whatever is in the can(s) that say cleaner on them that are connected to the fuel rail AFTER disconnecting the fuel line...

...This particular system involved disconnecting the fuel supply and hooking a can of cleaner to the schrader valve,unplug the fuel pump fuse

and start the car.It would run for about 15 mins then die...

Yep, that's the type. Frequently very effective. REALLY ought to change your oil afterwards.

I've been using Red Line SI-1 fuel system cleaner, and think that it's really good stuff. I add a bottle to my Sube's gas tank about every 8 weeks. Keeps the engine humming along beautifully.

Of course, Techron is no slouch either.

I read through a few of the posts and links regarding Techron as a decent product and decided to try it. One of the posts as well as the container stated to put it into a nearly empty tank and then put the pproper amount of gas in. My question is. Does it matter if I put in in an already partialy full tank(12 gallons is whats recommended for the size I bought) or is there another reason besides accuracy of the mix? Thanks, Bob

You want the chemicals in the cleaner to mix thoroughly with the gasoline. That's the only reason it's said add to a nearly empty tank. The action of the gasoline pouring into the tank distributes the cleaner throughout the fuel. If you're using the small can of Techron don't dilute it by going past the 12 gallons to one can ratio. You would just be reducing the effectiveness of the additive.

When I used Techron, I went for the large Techron bottle(it's for 20 gallons of gas). I added it to half a tank of gas and then filled it up.

My Sube's tank holds 16.9 gallons. The Techron worked fine. Better a little extra than not enough.