Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 SPFI: TPS ISSUES??? PROBLEM SOLVED!! -UPDATE last page-

I'm headed down to Jeff's tonight to compare the test results I get from his TPS, on a car that is known to run just fine.

But I am wondering if any of you know;

How frequently do TP sensors actually fail?

The car I am dealing with is at 275k on the clock, and from the somewhat random results I have received (see above posts); I am beginning to lean in this direction. However, with new sensors costing so much, and the nearest junkyard a 1.5 hour drive; I want to be sure before I head out hunting for a new one!

Any help would be met with a tearful hug at this point...:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

I think I would get a second opinion, i.e. a different multimeter to test with. I've seen it posted here that tps failure is very uncommon. There usually are some used ones available in the Classified section here though. In fact there's a Loyale being stripped now.

I think I would get a second opinion, i.e. a different multimeter to test with. I've seen it posted here that tps failure is very uncommon.

Thanks guys.

I'm headed down here in a bit to test one on a car that I know runs, and drives well. Jeff is kind enough to let me use his Touring Wagon as a guinea pig....:eek::lol:

I'll compare the readings I get, but I'm really running out of things it could be.

If Jeff's measures more consistently, and stable than mine; it looks like a trip to Pull-A-Part. :banana:

Are the weighted arms in the distributor moving smoothly? I would guess that could cause a deadspot if they were sticking and would be easy to check.

I wish it were that simple. The SPFI distributor doesn't have centrifugal weights or even a vacuum advance. The ecu takes care of all that.

The readings shouldn't change between the hot and cold temperatures. I'm not sure why you such high resistance readings also. That shouldn't be happening. It kind of looks to me the TPS sensor is flakey at least.

I figured those readings were way too high, I just figured that maybe there was a typo in Daeron's procedure (you never know). If there is a consensus that the correct range is in the Ks, I'm definitely convinced of my idea.

I wish it were that simple. The SPFI distributor doesn't have centrifugal weights or even a vacuum advance. The ecu takes care of all that.

That's one of the strangest parts, I can't seem to get any codes from the ECU other than the 5 flashes.

It seems to me a stumbling of the motor would trip something....

I'm anxiously awaiting my trip down to investigate another TPS:)

Alright.

Thanks.

I'm headed to PAP to get another one. Is testing these off of the vehicle using a screw driver in place of the throttle shaft advised, or should I leave the TPS on the car in favor of testing the initial TPS placement settings as well? I'm not sure how much that will account into the other readings, if at all.

Alright.

Thanks.

I'm headed to PAP to get another one. Is testing these off of the vehicle using a screw driver in place of the throttle shaft advised, or should I leave the TPS on the car in favor of testing the initial TPS placement settings as well? I'm not sure how much that will account into the other readings, if at all.

To me it would be easier leaving it on the car and opening the throttle rather than holding the screwdriver, tps, and mm leads to the terminals and trying to keep everything in contact while working the screwdriver.

I thought you were going to compare readings with a buddies tps before making the 1.5hr drive?.

To me it would be easier leaving it on the car and opening the throttle rather than holding the screwdriver, tps, and mm leads to the terminals and trying to keep everything in contact while working the screwdriver.

I thought you were going to compare readings with a buddies tps before making the 1.5hr drive?.

That makes sense. I was just thinking of grabbing a handfull of them at PAP, and testing them when I get home.

I am going to compare readings first. His house is just 1 hour away. So, I'm already 2/3 of the way to the junkyard.

If you are trying to measure the resistance of the sensor wiper connection it doesn't matter how you do it really. The resistance should be same mounted in on the engine or not mounted on it.

I figured it wouldn't make a difference, but just wanted to make sure. I figured it may make a difference to measure conductivity between A-B with the prescribed measurements. I'll take my M M with me.

Thanks a ton guys. I'm outta here.

I'll let you know how all goes!:burnout:

As promised:

I said I would let you all know how things went.

I went to Jeff's yesterday evening, and tested his TPS to compare the reading.

The TPS on Jeff's car reacted/measured out EXACTLY as the procedure in Daeron's thread described. I was fully convinced that my TPS was garbage, and this morning I took a trip to Pull-A-Part to test/grab a couple sensors. I finally got around to installing it a couple of hours ago, adjusted it to specs, and tested it.

This WAS indeed the problem. With the new one installed the car revs freely, no matter how hard the throttle is stomped. :grin:

There is no hesitation at any RPM, and the car seems to run excellent.

I want to give a big thanks to all of you who helped walk me through this. :clap: Thanks for patiently answering my questions, as misled, and odd as they may have been. Hopefully I can some day pay it forward. :)

As promised:

I said I would let you all know how things went.

I went to Jeff's yesterday evening, and tested his TPS to compare the reading.

The TPS on Jeff's car reacted/measured out EXACTLY as the procedure in Daeron's thread described. I was fully convinced that my TPS was garbage, and this morning I took a trip to Pull-A-Part to test/grab a couple sensors. I finally got around to installing it a couple of hours ago, adjusted it to specs, and tested it.

This WAS indeed the problem. With the new one installed the car revs freely, no matter how hard the throttle is stomped. :grin:

There is no hesitation at any RPM, and the car seems to run excellent.

I want to give a big thanks to all of you who helped walk me through this. :clap: Thanks for patiently answering my questions, as misled, and odd as they may have been. Hopefully I can some day pay it forward. :)

right on Will. Good to hear that you got it going good.

Jeff

Good to hear. Glad it was that simple.

SPFI is really quite a simple beast. Just a small box of good spare parts is all you need under the seat for trouble-free motoring in all 50 states ;)

Really there aren't that many sensors though.

Take your old one apart and see if you can fix it for a spare. Might just be as simple as cleaning the wipers and the PCB.

GD

Good to hear. Glad it was that simple.

SPFI is really quite a simple beast. Just a small box of good spare parts is all you need under the seat for trouble-free motoring in all 50 states ;)

Really there aren't that many sensors though.

Take your old one apart and see if you can fix it for a spare. Might just be as simple as cleaning the wipers and the PCB.

GD

Yeah, I am fairly impressed with the overall simplicity of this motor. It's just some concepts that I'm fairly unacquainted with. I'll slowly learn it while I go....:)

I grabbed a spare while I was at Pull-A-Part, but I will definitely take this one apart just to see how it works, and to see if I can get it to work correctly. It's hard to mess up something that's already broken - So, I've got a perfect opportunity to learn something.

Thanks again for the help.

Now I can get it ready for the wheeling trip...:clap::burnout: