Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thumping front driveside

so i went off roading yesterday and had a blast but now im putting out fires haha. on the way home i aquired i thunping noise in what i think is the front driverside. it didnt do it on the way there. only does it under power and in every gear. more so in the 3rd forth. also it comes and goes but pretty much is always there. it dosent click like a cv joint. did i cook it?:confused: when its bad it shakes the whole car/truck pretty bad.

if it is real bad and the axles are sound, then you blew the center diff in your transmission. It will be there, and be real bad under power, but still thumping when you push the clutch in.

I have had this happen twice, first to my Brat, then to my 84 Wagon. Good thing transmissions are fairly easy to change with 5 or 6 hours and a good jack..

let us know how it turns out..

if it is real bad and the axles are sound, then you blew the center diff in your transmission. It will be there, and be real bad under power, but still thumping when you push the clutch in.

I have had this happen twice, first to my Brat, then to my 84 Wagon. Good thing transmissions are fairly easy to change with 5 or 6 hours and a good jack..

let us know how it turns out..

it goes away as soon as i push in the clutch.

It will get to the point of unbearable..

Axle swaps are VERY easy... Most can do them in about 30-60 minutes.. first timers, give yourself 2-3 hours..

You can do this without popping balljoints and tie rod ends if you dismantle all the break stuff, undo the axle nut, take the strut mounts loose and pull the strut out, and stepping on the bottom arm..

don't forget to get the pin out of the axle on the transmission side of the axle.. and whatever you do, don't break off the pin tool in the axle!

seriously, they are easy and it is best to just swap the whole axle.

cool. thanx guys. how hard of a fix is this for me not being a guru? and where would i get one? and gone unfixed there will be catastrofic falure wont there.

You can do this without popping balljoints and tie rod ends if you dismantle all the break stuff, undo the axle nut, take the strut mounts loose and pull the strut out, and stepping on the bottom arm..

Way too much work - pull the inner control arm bolt, and the sway bar link. Two bolts and no stepping on anything.

GD