Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Forester engine swap needed

This will be my first Forester, first SOHC 2.5.

I'm used to 94-99 mixes and matches of HG repair and 2.5 and 2.2, and 2.2 inplace of 2.5 swaps.

I see a few threads here but don't see anything definitive on the best/easiest/most cost effective route.

I'll have to buy whatever I'm putting in.

Car is an auto and pretty sure EGR (it's not here right now but I do have the vin).

When finished it will probably be sold so I'm looking for a sturdy solution. Don't want to sell something then folks have any issues.

Thanks,

Dave

PS troubles posting - if this is a duplicate or triplicate would a moderator please clean this up? I'll be gone until tomorrow atleast.

but don't see anything definitive on the best/easiest/most cost effective route.
that's like a differential equation, there is no single answer that fits everyone.

Easiest = same exact engine

Best = depends how you define and differentiate between "easiest/cost effective" and other things.

Cost effective = depends on your sources and how much time is worth.

easiest is sticking with a SOHC engine - either EJ22 or EJ25. pretty sure some of the later SOHC intakes are swappable between EJ22 and EJ25, unlike earlier EJ incompatabilities. that makes it really simple.

SOHC to DOHC probably isn't ideal based on my interpretation of what you might be thinking. but that also rules out much cheaper engines...so you'll have to decide on the "cost" verses "easiest" factors.

Easiest - no listings on car-part for a 99 Forester (SOHC 2.5) in the tri-state area.

Best - sturdiest solution since someone else will be owning this vehicle

Cost effective - within reason additional labor time. I'm used to doing the engine R&R and swaps. HG's, TB, idlers, WP, crank, cam, and O ring seals. Oil pump O ring & screws, etc.

Am I likely to get more involved than an intake swap to solve wiring issues - not likely.

First thought is the 95 2.2. But I can't identify all the issues. If they are like swapping a 95 2.2 into a 97-99 Legacy OBW 2.5 (DOHC)then that's o.k.

I couldn't find definitive answers on a 99 2.2 as a retrofit.

Comments/Experiences still welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave

usually the interchange software at car-part will bring up other matching years, it may not bring up impreza if you are searching forester. buti'm sure there are some other years and models that will work. i just don't know what they are.

example : legacy got the new auto trans in 99/00, but impreza got them the year before, i think. i bet a 00 leg will drop right in, just a guess.

Here's a link I started.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61096

I believe the earlier 2.2 engines, (95-96 Non-interference), will have a bolt up issue to the trans that you will need to navigate around.

I personally made the decision that the "same" engine is the best option. The SOHC 2.5 is not a bad engine and will not leave you stranded like the DOHC 2.5. This situation with the 99 Forester is far and different from the easy swaps from the past.

Todd

That was one of the more informative threads that I had found before starting a new thread.

You ruled out the 95 2.2. My favorite swap.

I actually started looking for engines that ferret recommended on that thread and then thought I'd start a new thread incase there was any new information out there about successful swaps. Not theoretical swaps.

What exact engine did you end up installing(size, year, model) and how smooth was the swap?

Thanks,

Dave

Actually the engine turned out to be fine. I did however locate a 99 Impreza 2.5 SOHC for a spare.

There is no sense changing to a newer SOHC 2.2 either, as they are essentially the same engine as the SOHC 2.5s. You will still have piston slap, open deck, interference engine and the risk potential for headgasket failure greater than the early/mid-90's 2.2s in both of the newer 2.5 and 2.2s. So changing to a say a 99 or 2000 2.2, will be a lot of work for little gain and less power to boot.

Just my opinion after looking at the options.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

A little assistance/direction please.

I haven't decided on the replacement engine yet but it's looking like a 2000 SOHC 2.5 from an Impreza or Legacy. These can be sourced for around 700 rather than the 1,300 for the 'correct' 99 Forester 2.5 SOHC. I figure I'll be atleast loosening the intake anyways to do the HG's. May as well get a less expensive engine.

I went looking for SOHC head gasket instructions (like the excellent endwrench DOHC instructions and threads here) and have basically come up empty handed. Both here and endwrench, a little at subaruforester.org.

Anyone firmiliar with a nice, complete, suggested procedure. Whatever the 2.5 SOHC donor it will get new HG's TB, WP, etc. I can't even tell if they have the oil pump screw issues.

My first foray into 2.5 SOHC so I'd like to get some procedures.

Thanks,

Dave

The SOHC and DOHC 2.5L engine blocks are basically identical. Same oil pump, crank seal, water pump TB tensioner as the late DOHC's..............lower smooth TB idler is different. Obviously different TB.

Cylinder heads are obviously different. But still use the same cam seal.

The head gasket replacement procedure is actually easier on the SOHC, due to....................... the cams don't need to be removed, and the valves are easier to adjust. Otherwise the head gasket replacement is same same.

The SOHC engine does have two different head bolts, this will be obvious, as bolts 1 & 2 do not have paint on the bolt head. Torque specs are the basically the same as the late DOHC. Other than I notice they went from 29 ft. lbs. on step five to 31 ft. lbs.