Ultimate Subaru Message Board

roadside fix of a messed up crank pulley.

I was driving on the freeway this morning and I heard a loud noise come from the front of the BRAT. Put it into neutral and reved the motor. no changes, put the car it in gear and there was nothing unusual so I kept going.

Get off the freeway and I realize that I have no power steering. Pull over and I see that the crank pulley is wobbly and it threw the alternator/ps belt. :dead: yeah I know, the charge light should have come on, but this is my FRANKENBRAT and most of the gauges dont' work right.:-\

Upon closer inspection, the crank pulley is pretty messed up the woodruff key got sheared in half. The woodruff key slot on the pulley got enlarged and worn so that it doesn't lock tightly

Go to autozone, pick up a new belt and I try to find a locking washer. All of the ones I find are too small. Get the pulley on and put the belt on loosely so I am atleast getting some sort of a charge.

Head over to OSH and I continue to look for the locking washer. The ones that I find that will fit are too thick. I then stumble upon a rubber washer. I get it and put it over the crankshaft and then secure the pulley onto the crankshaft. Rubber washer compressed and fit snuggly around the timing belt gear. Got it back together and limped it home.

YEAH for red neck ingenuity....

BW

Great fix!:headbang: I had an 82 Subaru GL and the fuel pump quit 30 miles from home with no way to contact anyone. I used the windshield washer pump, some wire and a piece of fuel line from the trunk and rigged it to the fuel line and carb. To fill the carb you hit the button for the washer pump. It worked great, every few seconds you would have to hit the button but not only did I get home I ran it like that for a week until I could get a fuel pump.

Great fix!:headbang: I had an 82 Subaru GL and the fuel pump quit 30 miles from home with no way to contact anyone. I used the windshield washer pump, some wire and a piece of fuel line from the trunk and rigged it to the fuel line and carb. To fill the carb you hit the button for the washer pump. It worked great, every few seconds you would have to hit the button but not only did I get home I ran it like that for a week until I could get a fuel pump.

THAT'S SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

way to go..

RE: the washer from the subie dealer. There is no washer there in the first place. The crank pulley is held fast by the woodruff key and the crank pulle bolt. Since the woodruff key was messed up, I wanted to get something in between the crank pulley and the timing belt gear to provide a little friction.

BW

I used the windshield washer pump, some wire and a piece of fuel line from the trunk and rigged it to the fuel line and carb.

Great fix! Talk about ingenuity!

I had a similar problem one dark and stormy night...

This was old Ford, the car stopped in the middle of nowhere. No fuel was getting through. I couldn't even start it. I tried removing a spark-plug to test for a spark, =OK.

Then I pulled out the choke knob (remember those knobs?), and the car started. I drove a long way that night (to see my girlfriend), using the choke-knob as a throttle. The car didn't go very fast, but it got me there!

Later, I dismantled the carb, cleaned the plugs, and all was well again.

Proud of ya' s'ko.

Now if I just knew what OSH is . . . ! :rolleyes:

Orchard Supply Hardware... I don't know about anymore, but "back in the day" you could actually find hardware there. (As opposed to interior decorating/home remodeling crap.) They ACTUALLY supplied orchard and farm operators with stuff to fix their equipment. I used to buy my Grade-8s from them (in full bins of stuff, not sterile packets of 1!), Heim (ball-end) joints, and all storts of specialy fasteners... even METRIC in the 70's!!! :eek:

Ahhh... we have turned into a nation of faux-painters and Tollers... :mad:

Dude you definitely get the McGiver award for that one. :clap:

I feel so unworthy now that I couldn't get a spun crankshaft pulley back on in the middle of the night and had to be towed.