Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I posted this on one of the Yahoo groups, but I thought I'd get a better response here. Please excuse the cross-posting, thanks.

-------

So, one of my kids totalled one of our 2000 Outback wagons last week. Kind of put it under the back right corner of a Suburban, smashed the front left corner of the subie in pretty good, to the point that the A-pillar, dash and roof corner are shoved back about eight inches. The whole front, the left fender, the hood, and the driver's door skin separated in the crash. My daughter climbed out of it with a cut on her head about an inch or so long (from the top of the inside trim on the A-pillar I think) and lots of bruises and small cuts from glass, and a lesson learned I hope. She'll be all right though. She'd be somewhat more all right if she had health insurance.

Question is, what's this wreck worth? I have another car just like it that I would like to have spare parts for. I think the 2.5 EJ252 engine and 4EAT transmission in the crashed car are probably good, as well as the exhaust system and probably all of the electronic parts except the smashed fusebox. The front suspension will be damaged some, but the brakes, axles, and two or three of the wheels should be good, as well as the 4.44 rear diff.

It's a total for sure, both airbags blown and all that. The insurance company will pay me their opinion of the car's value, and I can buy it back from them. I don't have $$ numbers yet on that.

How much would you pay for a crashed car like this, for parts? It had 140,000 miles on it and was in excellent shape.

I posted this on one of the Yahoo groups, but I thought I'd get a better response here. Please excuse the cross-posting, thanks.

-------

So, one of my kids totalled one of our 2000 Outback wagons last week. Kind of put it under the back right corner of a Suburban, smashed the front left corner of the subie in pretty good, to the point that the A-pillar, dash and roof corner are shoved back about eight inches. The whole front, the left fender, the hood, and the driver's door skin separated in the crash. My daughter climbed out of it with a cut on her head about an inch or so long (from the top of the inside trim on the A-pillar I think) and lots of bruises and small cuts from glass, and a lesson learned I hope. She'll be all right though. She'd be somewhat more all right if she had health insurance.

Question is, what's this wreck worth? I have another car just like it that I would like to have spare parts for. I think the 2.5 EJ252 engine and 4EAT transmission in the crashed car are probably good, as well as the exhaust system and probably all of the electronic parts except the smashed fusebox. The front suspension will be damaged some, but the brakes, axles, and two or three of the wheels should be good, as well as the 4.44 rear diff.

It's a total for sure, both airbags blown and all that. The insurance company will pay me their opinion of the car's value, and I can buy it back from them. I don't have $$ numbers yet on that.

How much would you pay for a crashed car like this, for parts? It had 140,000 miles on it and was in excellent shape.

I think it depends on the internal policy of your insurance company and state law. I was in a similar situation and was given the option to keep my wreck for $400 albeit it was a 97 outback, but I dont think they would ask you more than $1k. As far as is it worth it, I assume it is, so long as you have room to keep a junked car on your premises. If you have the exact equivalent car, i would keep the wreck for parts or in the alternate you can sell it piece by piece on ebay and make a few $$$.

first, i'm glad she is ok.

it's nice having a parts car, but normally i would say don't bother unless you have a specific need right now. some wives get a little upset with junkers sitting around. also what are the chances you wil need a engine or a trans in the near future? you probably wouldn't be driving a subaru if you thought it was going to fail at 150k. i bought a wrecked 96 leg for the trans in 06 and just now am i getting around to using the engine. i bought a 97 GT for cheap with bad head gaskets.

on the other hand, you have young? drivers in the house. you may need all the parts you can get.

i'd look for a car with bad engine or trans swap in the good parts and let the kid drive that.

but it all depends on the price. you might rather spend the money on subaru stock.

Wait for the quote then decide. With the price of metals - steel included - all up significantly in the past couple of years the buy back may be quite high. The last time I was selling my recycles steel was $14 per 100 lbs. That can make a scrap body worth quite a bit plus the parts that can be pulled.

Steve

Wow, thanks a lot for all the replies! I still have not got settlement information, why does it take GEICO more than two weeks to look at a car and do a little math?

I especially like the idea to look for a car with a bad engine or trans for cheap, and swap in the parts from the crashed car to make a good cheap one. That could work out very well.

I'll let you know what happens...

I have a cd changer that I am willing to sell. How much are you willing to offer for a Panasonic unit with head unit built for subaru. Comes complete ready to install.

Sorry for your luck, but do you have access to the car? Does it have a CDplayer or CD Changer in it you want to sell???

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. It is a subaru cd changer with a head unit. The changer fits under the passenger seat. It is badged subaru, but made by panasonic. You think they make their own?

I'm looking more for a Subaru Cd Changer.

But thanks for the info, mdjdc!

Just got to my office and have someone looking at the unit today. I will let you kinow if it is still available this afternoon.

Thanks

Mike

Sorry, but I just got the car and was not sure of what make the head unit is.

I am just looking for the changer unit with cable. If you are willing to sell it like that let me know.

Thanks,

DCor

Any update on your situation? I had to deal with Geico a while ago when someone (who was insured with Geico) hit my audi when it was parked on the street. Geico has a reputation to low ball. They dont go by kelly blue book, they have so called the CCC system they use to pay for their clients:mad:

Wow, thanks a lot for all the replies! I still have not got settlement information, why does it take GEICO more than two weeks to look at a car and do a little math?

I especially like the idea to look for a car with a bad engine or trans for cheap, and swap in the parts from the crashed car to make a good cheap one. That could work out very well.

I'll let you know what happens...

Any update on your situation? I had to deal with Geico a while ago when someone (who was insured with Geico) hit my audi when it was parked on the street. Geico has a reputation to low ball. They dont go by kelly blue book, they have so called the CCC system they use to pay for their clients:mad:

A buddy that runs a body shop told me it gets real old explaining to Geico customers why their settlement check won't cover the actual cost of repairs. I think he said the checks are usually about 25% too low.

Somebody has to pay for all those TV ads! :rolleyes:

They gave me an acceptable settlement, I guess. Based on comparables and the mileage it was OK.

I did get a chance to closely inspect the car, jacked it up and got underneath and everything, looks like the engine, auto trans, exhaust system, electronic boxes, and most of the driveline are in good shape. Since my daily driver is another 2000 OBW, I'll have lots of spare parts after I strip all the goodies off the crashed car.

The car has a AM-FM-CD-cassette player, not a CD changer. Probably I want to keep that for a spare. I might sell some of the parts, but since I have a use for them, and space to store them, I'll probably end up keeping most of them.

Since my wife got an 08 Impreza, I guess I'll have to change my name here.

• 2 weeks later...