Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will any ea82 hubs fit my ea81?

will any ea82 hubs fit my ea81 with minimal or what ever modification?I have an 86 GL hatchback 4x4, i want bigger wheels does anyone know if i can swop hubs for the 5 lug or anything and how easy it would be ? just trying to figure out a way for bigger tires with out having to drill and everything?:-\ I went to the u pull its today to get a look but wasnt sure what to do or if my head was even on straight :D

Thanks

SS

EA82s are the same 4-lug pattern as your EA81. 5-lug is a lot of work and money (and headache....rare parts, and custom ones for EA81s) just for wheels.

you'd be way better off going 6-lug. either modify the hubs yourself, or have a shop do it (SJR will do it for a pretty reasonable price.....or at least he did the last time I looked).

or keep an eye out here for pugs. they're a direct bolt-on in 14 and 15".

Thanks, I Kind of figured. but was checking, looked easy but I didnt want to get into it and find out like you say a head ache and all.

Thanks

Sheldon

EA82s are the same 4-lug pattern as your EA81. 5-lug is a lot of work and money (and headache....rare parts, and custom ones for EA81s) just for wheels.

you'd be way better off going 6-lug. either modify the hubs yourself, or have a shop do it (SJR will do it for a pretty reasonable price.....or at least he did the last time I looked).

or keep an eye out here for pugs. they're a direct bolt-on in 14 and 15".

The major problem is the ball joint system. The ball joints are different between EA81 and EA82 such that the knuckles will not fit the EA81 control arm.

The whole reason that the 5 lug bolt-on swap is possible on the EA82's is the existence of the XT6 control arms - they allow adaptation between the Legacy/Impreza ball-joint and the EA82 style control arm/leading rod system. Unfortunately there is no control arm out there that facilitates this between the EA81 and the Leg/Imp system because the EA81 is narrower and so has shorter control arms.

There is also the issue of the strut top-hats, but that is easily handled by drilling new mounting holes in the strut towers.

There is also the problem of the e-brake system. The Leg/Imp e-brake's are on the rear wheels....

So with custom control arms, or by machining the existing EA81 control arms to accept a new style ball-joint, it can be done. There also has to be some swappage with the tie rod ends I believe.

Really, for the work involved, it's much simpler, and a lot stronger to just convert your existing hubs to 6 lug Chevy/Toyota. The 5 lug swap yield many rim choices for the street crowd but if you are going with big off-road tires then 6 lug is the way to go. Not only because there are more lugs and that is stronger in itself, but also because the lugs are spaced 20mm farther from the center and thus less torque is put on them with large mud-tires. Thus the reason trucks intended to run these style/size of tire from the factory are so equipped.

GD

^couple corrections. but you got the point.

yea, XT6 control arms won't work on EA81s. but also, if you go to 5-lug knuckles, you have to use the axles, which are longer than the EA81 axles. so custom axles would be needed.

if you use XT6 knuckles/brakes. parking brake isn't an issue. although, IMHO that'd be pretty dumb. if you're going to the work, do it right and use EJ brakes!

AFAIK, the EA81 top hats will work on EJ/XT6 struts.

also, 6-lug wheels tend to have less backspacing. which works out better for offroad tires.